[comp.protocols.appletalk] TFTP and BOOTP

kovar%popvax@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (-David C. Kovar) (09/07/89)

>>>                                                  Now if we could only get
>>> the silly things to boot via TFTP or the like, we wouldn't need access to
>>> Macs on the Localtalk segment at all!

>>Actually, my vote goes for bootp; but anything is better than having to
>>visit the localtalk segment (well, anything but ethertalk).

>bootp can't boot the boxes, only support information on where to boot from.
>Usually, a host uses BOOTP to find out where to boot from and what to boot,
>and then uses TFTP to boot.

>- -Steve

  My two GatorBoxes boot via tftp from a Sun 386i. Power failure? Just
wait for the 386i to come up and the GatorBoxes are up and running about
two minutes later. Very convenient since I manage them from about five
miles away and would have to drive in if they needed to be rebooted
with a Mac.

-David C. Kovar
	Technical Consultant			ARPA: kovar@popvax.harvard.edu
	Office of Information Technology	BITNET: corwin@harvarda.bitnet
	Harvard University			MacNET: DKovar
						Ma Bell: 617-732-1778

"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

ian@lassen.wpd.sgi.com (Ian Clements) (09/07/89)

In article <Added.EZ1NGsC00UkTMW5U89@andrew.cmu.edu>, kovar%popvax@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (-David C. Kovar) writes:
>   My two GatorBoxes boot via tftp from a Sun 386i. Power failure? Just
> wait for the 386i to come up and the GatorBoxes are up and running about
> two minutes later. Very convenient since I manage them from about five
> miles away and would have to drive in if they needed to be rebooted
> with a Mac.

 Cayman recommends that you set the box up to boot from the Mac *first* then
tftp boot second.  This way, you can load the box after having made a change
on the Mac without having to xfer the file to the tftp host first.

 Btw, GatorBoxes also boot from SGI boxes as well.

	Cheers,

	Ian