[comp.protocols.appletalk] naive question

rich@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill) (09/07/89)

In article <14090@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) writes:

   Local talk has a limit of 32 nodes [...]

ethertalk doesn't.

   hmm, see above about this many nodes, but you're also going to get a
   lot of collisions which will make the macs backoff and retry, by that
   time someone has already gotten node #1 and probably will respond. [...]

Not over ether.

   Talking with some friends they say that they turn appletalk off to
   get the best MIDI performance.  I'm sure this situation could come
   up, but again I think you're hitting extremes that won't be met all
   that often. [...]

Presume for the purposes of my argument that we have an ideal LAP.
ie, node numbers are not limitted and that the network bandwidth
verges on infinite.

My point here is that appletalk appears to be full of holes and
doesn't even specify ways to recover from these blunders.
--
rich.

desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) (09/08/89)

In article <RICH.89Sep6140332@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us>
rich@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill) writes:
> In article <14090@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
(David M. O'Rourke) writes:

>    Local talk has a limit of 32 nodes [...]
> ethertalk doesn't.

Come on now. The original discussion was over the dynamic assignment of
local network addresses in the LocalTalk MAC layer. Ethernet is completely
irrelevant to the question at hand, as it uses a different means of
assigning addresses. (i.e. pre-assigned addresses.)

A valid question about Ethernet would be whether the address resolution
protocol is safe against the assignment of duplicate AppleTalk node
numbers. I don't know the answer to this one.

                                      Peter Desnoyers
                                      Apple ATG
                                      (408) 974-4469