[comp.protocols.appletalk] HyperUnix 1.4.0: Mail and Unix services from HyperCard

sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) (09/07/89)

HyperUnix 1.4.0 is now available for anonymous ftp from ssyx.ucsc.edu
(128.114.133.1).  The 'automac' daemons have also been updated.

HyperUnix provides mail and other unix services from HyperCard using
either a serial interface or an AUFS interface (the 'automac' daemons).

  ___\    /___               Greg Anderson              ___\    /___
  \   \  /   /         Social Sciences Computing        \   \  /   /
   \  /\/\  /    University of California, Santa Cruz    \  /\/\  /
    \/    \/              sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu             \/    \/

ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET (Allen Edmiston) (09/09/89)

In article <9034@saturn.ucsc.edu>, sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) says:
>HyperUnix provides mail and other unix services from HyperCard using
>either a serial interface or an AUFS interface (the 'automac' daemons).
>  ___\    /___               Greg Anderson              ___\    /___

one quick question, has anyone made such a stack for VMS systems? it would
nice nice if there was a window on the sceen showing what is going on, and
maybe a way to catch interactive messages ... does anyone know of such a
stack?

                                                   Allen

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (09/11/89)

}
}HyperUnix provides mail and other unix services from HyperCard using
}either a serial interface or an AUFS interface (the 'automac' daemons).

Could you or someone else possibly explain what exactly this does?  What is
an AUFS interface?  If I have a Mac II running A/UX connected to other Macs
via Ethernet, would HyperUnix do anything interesting for me?  Don't mean to
sound stupid, but I hate wasting time downloading stuff I don't need, and I
just thought I'd check first...

--
----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: cpdaux!steve@apple.com                GEnie:  LEMKE

johnroc@ucsco.UCSC.EDU (John Rocchio (x2578)) (09/11/89)

In article <485@cpdaux.UUCP> cpdaux!steve@apple.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>In article <9034@saturn.ucsc.edu> sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) writes:
>}HyperUnix 1.4.0 is now available for anonymous ftp from ssyx.ucsc.edu
>}(128.114.133.1).  The 'automac' daemons have also been updated.
>}
>}HyperUnix provides mail and other unix services from HyperCard using
>}either a serial interface or an AUFS interface (the 'automac' daemons).
>
>Could you or someone else possibly explain what exactly this does?  What is
>an AUFS interface?  If I have a Mac II running A/UX connected to other Macs
>via Ethernet, would HyperUnix do anything interesting for me?  Don't mean to
>sound stupid, but I hate wasting time downloading stuff I don't need, and I
>just thought I'd check first...

What it is is a HyperCard Home stack and set of "sub-stacks" that write
text to a mounted AUFS volume.  Meanwhile, there is a Unix daemon running
that checks for this file and if it exists, executes it.  Usually the text
written is a Unix command, for example "finger joe".  Unix executes the
command and writes the results to another file.  HyperCard reads this file
and displays the results on your screen.  We have provided interfaces for
common commands like finger, shell, mail, etc.  We have also provided
samples of local hacks to the UC System library database, SAS statistical
programs and webster dictionary service.  New services(buttons) can be easily
created by simply padding the given arguments with the necessary Unix info.
One way to provide access to these types of services is with the supersrv
program available from ssyx.ucsc.edu(128.114.133.1) in /pub/unix-misc.

John Rocchio (408-459-2578)
UC Santa Cruz Appletalk/Macintosh Hardware and Software Consultant

johnroc@ucsco.ucsc.edu
johnroc@ucsco.BITNET
...ucbvax!ucscc!ucsco!johnroc

sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) (09/12/89)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hypercard,comp.protocols.appletalk
Subject: Re: HyperUnix 1.4.0:  Mail and Unix services from HyperCard
In article <485@cpdaux.UUCP> cpdaux!steve@apple.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>Could you or someone else possibly explain what exactly this does?  What is
>an AUFS interface?

Very good question (no, the answer is not obvious).  Are you familiar with
AUFS, the Apple/Unix file server that works with CAP (the Columbia AppleTalk
Package)?  AUFS allows a macintosh to store files on a Unix machine.

HyperUnix's "AUFS interface" uses AUFS to 'talk' to Unix.  When the Macintosh
wishes to execute a bourne shell script, it writes the script to a file
on the AUFS volume.  Unix processes can also see this file, and in fact
there is a background task (the 'automac daemons') that watches for this
file (called 'sh.input') to appear.  When the daemon sees sh.input has
been written, it pipes the file through the bourne shell and redirects
the output to another file (called 'stdout').  The mac can then read
the output from the shell script by reading this file.

I was not the first to use this method; it was described quite some time
ago in comp.protocols.appletalk.  I unfortunately do not know who came up
with this idea.

>If I have a Mac II running A/UX connected to other Macs
>via Ethernet, would HyperUnix do anything interesting for me?

Yes, HyperUnix will work with A/UX.  The other Macs won't be able to
use HyperUnix unless they can read and write files on the A/UX machine.
The automac daemons may need to be changed slightly.  Also, HyperUnix
uses Bourne shell scripts on a BSD machine; system-V machines may have
minor incompatibilities.  A/UX is enough like BSD that HyperUnix may
be used almost as-is.  The only change I know of is you need to change
the mail path from /usr/spool/mail/ to whatever path your system
saves its mail in.  (There's a field in HyperUnix's home stack that
contains this information.)

>Don't mean to sound stupid...

You don't; the term 'AUFS interface' is rather vague.  I should probably
re-explain the entire project every time I post an update.

kallio@tukki.jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio) (09/12/89)

>In article <9034@saturn.ucsc.edu>, sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) says:
>>HyperUnix provides mail and other unix services from HyperCard using
>>either a serial interface or an AUFS interface (the 'automac' daemons).
>>  ___\    /___               Greg Anderson              ___\    /___
>
>one quick question, has anyone made such a stack for VMS systems? it would
>nice nice if there was a window on the sceen showing what is going on, and
>maybe a way to catch interactive messages ... does anyone know of such a
>stack?

I have been working with one stack handling Unix and VAX/VMS mail and
Unix News (rn). There is some problems: The async port xcmd (fxcmd) is fast
(up to 19.2kb) but it does not work wit Macintalk xcmds whitch I know;
it is corrupting the stack at Mac SE/30 and Mac II/cx (icons disappear).
All buttons do not work - I hope someone writes better stack.

Stack is available at tukki.jyu.fi  (128.214.7.5)

You will have one more problem: the language is finnish not english.
Looking at scripts you can see what buttons do.

Seppo--
Seppo Kallio              kallio@tukki.jyu.fi      phone +358 41 292809
University of Jyvaskyla   kallio@finjyu.bitnet     telefax +358 41 292797
Computing Centre          (128.214.7.5)            telex Finland 28218 JYU SF
Seminaarinkatu 15         Jyvaskyla, Finland

kallio@tukki.jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio) (09/12/89)

My Unix/VMS mail/news stack is in ~ftp/maclib/hypercard/commstack-22.hqx
at tukki.jyu.fi (128.214.7.5).

--

sirkm@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Greg Anderson) (09/12/89)