[comp.protocols.appletalk] AppleTalk PC

jwk@SCRIPPS.EDU ("Two Sheds" Kupec) (09/28/89)

Howdy,

Who can give me the lowdown on the AppleTalk PC card & software?
I have a user that wants to print to LaserWriters.  Does it
work as advertised?

TIA

John W. Kupec	(jwk@scripps.edu)

Wolfgang_Naegeli.TSRS_ED@TSRSQM.ED.ORNL.GOV (Wolfgang Naegeli) (09/29/89)

         Reply to:   AppleTalk PC
John W. Kupec	(jwk@scripps.edu) writes:

> Who can give me the lowdown on the AppleTalk PC card & software?
> I have a user that wants to print to LaserWriters.  Does it work as
> advertised?

The LocalTalk PC card comes bundled with a program called "lw."  Don't touch it,
it's lousy and a pain in the neck for most anything other than printing straight
ASCII files from the DOS prompt.

You need to purchase AppleShare PC, even if you don't have an AppleShare server,
because this package includes APRINT, a network printing utility that works very
well.  Of course, it is best if your programs can be configured to print to a
PostScript printer, but if not, Aprint can be set to automatically intercept and
translate output formatted for an Epson LQ 2500.

You could also get TOPS NetPrint, but in my experience it is not as solid as
Apple's product.  It basically does the same thing, except that it also can
translate output formatted for an IBM ProPrinter. In addition, it performs print
spooling, which Aprint does not (probably Apple thinks you should use the
services of their LaserShare product if you want that capability, but that of
course requires a Mac as a server).  However, we find that NetPrint has problems
with such programs as WordPerfect, which does its own print spooling (a feature
that cannot be disabled). Since you also cannot turn off NetPrint's print
spooling, you get the same stuff spooled twice, which really slows down printing
very much.

I prefer the Apple card over the TOPS FlashTalk card, because Apple's supports
both programs whereas the TOPS card doesn't support AppleShare etc.  Also, the
Apple card seems to perform slightly better. The FlashTalk card supports TOPS's
proprietary 768 kbit/s data transmission, but it does not seem to work very well
in our environment and we have turned this feature off. There are also LocalTalk
cards from Daystar Digital and Dayna. I have not seen them in operation. Dayna's
specs look particularly interesting, but it too does not support Apple's
software and is quite expensive.

One caveat: both network printing programs and the AppleTalk drivers that they
need take up a hefty amount of DOS memory.  NetPrint with FlashTalk drivers
about 90k, Aprint with LocalTalk drivers about 80k. Many of the latest versions
of the leading MS-DOS applications don't leave that much RAM available. For
example, to print from FreeLance 3.0, you need to redirect printer output into a
disk file, then leave the program and load the network software to print the
file from disk. Then you need to unload the network stuff before being able to

The only remedy is to get a high-memory remapping card, which uses any free
address space in the 640 k to 1 MB range to extend real DOS memory.
Theoretically, if you have a simple monochrome PC that may give you as much as
288 k of extra DOS memory, but practically it is more likely to be between 96
and 160 k -- depending on how loaded your system is with enhanded peripherals.
We have tried X-Bandit from Teletek and Hicard2 from Rybs. I like the Hicard
much better.  Rybs is at 2590 Central Avenue, Boulder, CO 80301; 303-444-6073.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-3895