[comp.protocols.appletalk] problems splitting up /usr/spool/mail/*

mcgowan@nisc.nyser.net (Craig McGowan) (08/30/89)

I have just installed popd from MH 6.6 on a Sun running OS 4.0.4.
When I try to read mail using Stanford Mac MH, sometimes the mail in
the spool file arrives as one big message instead of being split up.
Has anyone seen this bug before?  Here are my MH config options:

version: MH 6.6 #2[UCI] (wp.nyser.net) of Thu Aug 17 19:17:22 EDT 1989
	 [RPATHS] [SBACKUP='"#"'] [SENDMTS] [SMTP] [POP]

Thanks.
--
Craig McGowan
NYSERNet, Inc.

sylvain@burden.chorus.fr (Sylvain Langlois) (09/29/89)

In article <1360@nyser> mcgowan@nisc.nyser.net (Craig McGowan) writes:

>   When I try to read mail using Stanford Mac MH, sometimes the mail in
>   the spool file arrives as one big message instead of being split up.
>   Has anyone seen this bug before?  Here are my MH config options:

It happens to me also using MH 6.5 on a Sun3/280 running SunOs3.5. It
has been running correctly for months: the problem only appeared a couple of
weeks ago. I don't know if it's related but it seems that it happens
most of the time (not always!) when the first mail chunk to "inc" is a
digest.

My MH set-up is:

version: MH 6.5 #47[UCI] (chorus) of Thu Oct  1 15:03:15 MET 1987
         [MSGPROT='"0600"'] [MHE] [NETWORK] [BIND] [RPATHS] [UCI]
         [SBACKUP='"#"'] [SENDMTS] [SMTP]

Sylvain

--
----------------
Sylvain Langlois		  "Dogmatic attachement to the supposed merits

sylvain@burden (Sylvain Langlois) (10/02/89)

> POP server expect the mailbox in POP format (a POP defined delimiter
> between msgs is required) so it can break up msgs in>  mailbox. To do
> this, MH has a program (slocal) that will add delimiter to every msg.
> You have to pipe incoming msg through slocal by creating .forward file
> in the user home directory. Look mh/uip/slocal.c for detail.

I'm not using POP locally, so I suspect the bug (if any) is somewhere
else. However I've noticed that slocal coming with MH-6.5 may not work
correctly: I've tried to use MH to behave like the "vacation" from
BSD, using some temporary folders, and I cannot get it working.
Everything seems to show that "slocal" is not processing my stuff the
way I want it to do. I'm suspecting slocal but this may be due also to
some mistake in the MH macros I wrote (simple shell-scripts). Since
I'm pretty overloaded at the moment I cannot track bugs any further. I
wish I had time to do it!

> By the way MH6.6 is available from louie.udel.edu:portal/mh-6.6.tar.Z
I know. I've got the new sources here but no time to go through the
all installation process. Maybe next week...!

Thanks for replying anyway...

Sylvain