[comp.protocols.appletalk] NCSA Telnet on Mac Portable

austins@violet.berkeley.edu (Austin Shelton) (09/29/89)

I recently tested NCSA telnet version 2.2 and version 2.3 (ordinary and
MacTCP versions of the latter) on the new Macintosh portable.  I was
unable to get them to work - they caused a System Error 12.  Strangely,
tn3270 from Brown worked perfectly OK.

Has anyone had any experience with this and advice to offer?

Thanks,

Austin Shelton
U.C. Berkeley

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/02/89)

In article <1989Sep29.014147.12921@agate.berkeley.edu> austins@violet.berkeley.edu (Austin Shelton) writes:
>I recently tested NCSA telnet version 2.2 and version 2.3 (ordinary and
>MacTCP versions of the latter) on the new Macintosh portable.  I was
>unable to get them to work - they caused a System Error 12.  Strangely,
>tn3270 from Brown worked perfectly OK.
>
>Has anyone had any experience with this and advice to offer?

	You have discovered the same thing that the author of NCSA Telnet did
this week, that neither NCSA Telnet nor his commerical TCP/Connect work ont
the Portable.
	It turns out that there was some code in there (which goes back a WHILE)
concerning color tables which is what is killing the portable. What's wierd is
that it should also be killing the plus and SE...
	It has been fixed in TCP/Connect and the change has been wired to the
folks at NCSA to make the change there as well, so I assume a new version, or
patched version, will be available soon.

(Why tn3270 works is probably because the problem was in the terminal code and
tn3270 does it's own terminal handling)

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (10/03/89)

In article <13899@well.UUCP>, svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
> 	It turns out that there was some code in there (which goes back a WHILE)
> concerning color tables which is what is killing the portable. What's wierd is
> that it should also be killing the plus and SE...

Ayup.  Darned if we can figure out why SetPalletteEntries didn't crash
an SE or Plus...  <insert Twilight Zone theme here> :-).  Luckily, it was
an easy fix.

For more Portable TCP/IP fun, "slip" by our booth at Interop...

--
Amanda Walker
amanda@intercon.com