[comp.protocols.appletalk] Re- AppleTalk PC

Wolfgang_Naegeli.TSRS_ED@TSRSQM.ED.ORNL.GOV (Wolfgang Naegeli) (10/04/89)

         Reply to:   Re: AppleTalk PC
Since my earlier posting on LocalTalk boards for PCs I have been asked for
source and price information.  I have also found out a few more facts.

Apple's LocalTalk PC card:
It now comes bundled with AppleShare PC (including printer redirection to
networked PostScript printers). The "lw" utility is no longer available.
Get it from any Apple dealer. List price is $299, but large corporations that
purchase lots of Apple products get it for much less.

TOPS FlasCard:
I don't really know how much we paid for it.  NetPrint software is separate.
The cheapest is probably a mail oder company, such as MacConnection. See any Mac
magazine for their ad.

I just found out that DayStar Digital also bundles their own AppleShare client
software and printer utility with their LocalTalk boards.  The version for the
industry standard bus lists for $249, the MultiChannel version is probably quite
a bit more expensive.  Their laser printer software does not have a Chooser
equivalent that lets you select a printer while running the software.  You need
to set desired printer(s) with a setup program.  You can configure different
printers, though, for the different printer ports (LPT2, LPT3).  I have not seen
it yet, but they claim that their software requires considerably less RAM than
Apple's, and that would just fit our bill.  For a dealer address, call DayStar
Digital at 404-967-2077.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-3895

--------------------------------------
Date: 10/3/89
To: Wolfgang Naegeli
From: chip@ateng.ateng.com
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 89 17:33 EDT
From: chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg)
To: Wolfgang_Naegeli.TSRS_ED@TSRSQM.ED.ORNL.GOV
Subject: Re: AppleTalk PC
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.appletalk

I appreciate your info on the Apple and TOPS cards.

If you would be so kind, could you please tell me how much you paid for each
of those cards, and where you got them?  I'd rather like the info as soon
as possible.

adTHANKSvance
--
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
          "If you push something hard enough, it will fall over."