[comp.protocols.appletalk] Help

FISIOUM2@IPRUNIV.BITNET (05/16/88)

Date: 16 May 1988, 10:43:19 ITA
From: Giovanni Janelli          (0521) 34007         FISIOUM2 at IPRUNIV
To:   INFO-APPLEBUS at C.CS.CMU

HELP

darieb@SANDIA.GOV ("2614 Rieb, Declan A.") (10/02/89)

OK.  I give.  I can't figger it all out-  H E L P, please!

Object:  To share a LW (II NTX) between Sun workstations and Macs...using available
resources.  The LW is using AppleTalk (LocalTalk?).  We've got a KFP-4 running KSTAR,
several Mac's (II's) with EtherPortII cards, talking to an Ethernet "backbone" onto
which are connected several Sun's (3, 4, 386i, SPARC...)

I've tried using the KFP thusly:

  SUN---\
  SUN-------ethernet---KFP---LocalTalk---LW
  MAC----/
  MAC---/

The Mac's can see the LW just fine, in its own zone called "AppleTalk".  The Sun running
CAP can see the KFP (At least getzones tells me about the zones correctly)  But I
can't seem to get any info thru the KFP to the LW from the Sun.  atlook to the AppleTalk
zone finds no servers, atlooklws can find no LWs.  atlook with no parameters simply
tells me the internet address of the KFP (and calls it IPADDRESS, not IPGATEWAY [is
that significant?])  I haven't turned on atis...I'm still trying to test the access
as described in the (multitude of) installation guides/notes/manuals.

Is there a better architecture for this problem (without dedicationg a full Mac or
Sun to handling the traffic)?

I'm willing to take this problem out of the distribution list space (i.e. directly)
 since I'm a rank beginner with CAP etc, and I expect this has been discussed before.

  BTW, is there a "Answers to frequently asked questions" archive available for
info-appletalk?

P.S. is there a list of which patches I should apply to the CAP distribution I got
from Columbia?  How can I tell if the original sources have been patched already?

Declan A. Rieb           	INTERnet:DARieb@Sandia.GOV
Org 2614 (Computer Consulting)	      	 DARieb@Sandia-2.ARPA
Sandia National Laboratories	         dxxr@LANL.GOV
Albuquerque, NM   87185-5800    Bell:	(505) 844-6338 (845-8515 after Nov 17)

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (10/10/89)

In article <Added.0Z9sBPG00UkT8Lzk97@andrew.cmu.edu>, darieb@SANDIA.GOV ("2614 Rieb, Declan A.") writes:
> OK.  I give.  I can't figger it all out-  H E L P, please!

I can't mail to your given address, so here goes:

Here's your LOGICAL network:

   SUN---\
   SUN-------IPTalk protocol--------[KFP]---LocalTalk---LW
	   --EtherTalk protocol-----[___]
   MAC----/
   MAC---/

You've got THREE AppleTalk networks here - defined by the KFP config.
Check that atalk.local refers to the IPTalk (KIP) network stuff in the
KFP - Zone-name and network number must match. The top 3 IP bytes must
match between the Suns and the KFP as well. The Sun's lower IP byte
must equal its node number in atalk.local. Note that your Macs are using
the EtherTalk I/F on the KFP, and are getting to the LW OK, so it's an
IPTalk problem.

Type "atlook AppleTalk". Typing "atlook *" will only look in the IPTalk zone.
"*" in AppleSpeak means "here" not "everywhere".

Get atis up. It forms the NBP server for the Sun. Aufs and lwsrc need
it. Atistest will show up a new entry in atlook if it is working.
Don't use a remote atis server - delete the 3rd line in atalk.local if
you have it.

Please use an 80-column window :-)
			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz		|
Webster Computer Corp P/L	| "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd		|  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179    Australia	|  approximation"
Australia			|
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179	|      D. Conway