[comp.protocols.appletalk] Broadcast

joachim@iravcl.ira.uka.de (03/14/88)

There was a discussion about an AppleTalk message tool in January.
I mailed BroadCast 0.5b2 to INFO-MAC that morning. I am not going
to post it to comp.binaries.mac because of the large delays - it is
still betatest. I am not going to mail it to anyone who asks for
because of the transatlantic costs we have to pay for. I hope that
anyone interested can get it from INFO-MAC soon.

Joachim Lindenberg, University of Karlsruhe
Federal Republic of Germany - West Germany.

joachim@ira.uka.de
joachim@germany.csnet
...!mcvax!unido!uka!joachim (UUCP)

joachim@iravcl.ira.uka.de (03/16/88)

BroadCast ist now available from RY77@DKAUNI11.BITNET.

Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok) (10/12/89)

>From:  c11234@d1.dartmouth.edu (Stan Dunten)
>Subject:  Broadcast
>
>Has anyone else out there been hit by Broadcast? It is a Chooser thing that
>provides mac to mac communications. At this time there are 250 students
>at Dartmouth waiting for Broadcast messages.

Yeah, ain't it fun ?  Broadcast is as much fun for students as "talk" was.
But NBP uses quite a lot of network resources, you got that right.

>Has anyone had experience with NBP cacheing?

I don't really know how you could cache NBP (in the gateway or bridge?) and
not violate the protocol.  It could be done, but it seems like the wrong
solution.  Surely Sidhu is thinking about this problem.

>Could Apple perhaps slow down the Chooser?

Chooser gets its NBP retry and interval parameters from the RDEV, so you
might try and get the author or Broadcast to set the parms differently in
the next release.  See IM volume IV for details, the settings live in a
GNRL resource of the RDEV.

But really, what do you expect from something called "broadcast" ?  Network
friendliness?  I think you all are going to have to make a policy statement
like "Using Broadcast uses an inordinate amount of network resources, and is
not considered reasonable on this campus.  Please refrain from using it".
Kind of like "Printing your resume 100 times on the public laserwriter is
not reasonable".

Or, make more zones to partition the net.  Then you only have to worry about
zone names and all that crap :-)

Let us know what you do, Stan.

Rob

GROSS@umiami.miami.edu (Jason Gross) (10/13/89)

In article <15209.624195701@GNOME.CS.CMU.EDU>, Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok) writes:
>>From:  c11234@d1.dartmouth.edu (Stan Dunten)
>>Subject:  Broadcast

[stuff about BroadCast using up all sorts of resoucres]

Jes do what we do:  Don't then them use it!  All our BroadCasts on our student
nodes are receive only.  We (the staff) can send to them, but they can't send
back.

Nasty solution, but it works.

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Not my damn planet  | At the tone, leave your reply and Visa card number at