[comp.protocols.appletalk] Where is AppleTalk?

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (10/10/89)

I've been wanting to use Mike O'Rouke's LABtools shareware on our
open lab here, but it won't work on our 'ancient' Mac Pluses, tho
Mike sez it should.

The Problem Is that LABtools needs Appletalk version 48. I run
the MacEnvy cdev on our Pluses and it sez that they're running
version 19. I've reinstalled sys 6.0.2 on the Pluses, and it still
reads version 19. So I'm lead to believe that some of Appletalk
is in ROM and not updateable to version 48.

Is this hypothesis sound? Or am I all wet and missing something?

>>>      Internet: yahnke@macc.wisc.edu        <<<
>>>   Mille voix chuchottent <<c'est vrai>>    <<<

robert@polari.UUCP (robert) (10/13/89)

The solution to your problem should be simple. But alas ...

Appletalk version 19 is in ROM on the MacPlus. The SE and II have later
versions of Appletalk in ROM. Some of the toolbox routines implemented
after version 19 (the newer routines documented in volume 5 of Inside
Mac) won't work with the AppleTalk drivers in the MacPlus ROM.

To update the drivers on the MacPlus to version 48, Apple produced an
Init that you simply drop in the system folder. After rebooting, calls
to Appletalk use the new drivers, which are in the resource fork of the
Init. I think this Init was being sold by APDA as an "Appletalk Upgrade"
awhile back.

Now, you want to know how to get this "Appletalk Upgrade", right? Well,
here's where the fun starts. APDA was being managed for Apple by a group
which is now called the Tech Alliance (used to be the APPLE Co-op). In
January, Apple decided to start managing APDA itself. Since then, this
"Appletalk Upgrade" has not appeared in the APDA Catalog. I got a copy
of the Init from a friend. I haven't tried to call Apple about this.

If someone from Apple Computers is reading this, could you please check
into this matter and let us all know how to get the new drivers. If I
want to develop a commercial application using the newer Appletalk routines
documented in volume 5 of Inside Mac, I would need to distribute the new
drivers with the product (otherwise it won't work on a MacPlus). How much
is the licensing fee in this case? Can these new drivers (perhaps in the
form of an Init) be distributed for free?

Any information would be very much appriciated.

Robert Riebman
NorthWest Information Technology
P.O. Box 3156
Redmond, WA 98073
 -------------------------------

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (10/13/89)

In article <1074@polari.UUCP> robert@.UUCP (Robert Riebman) writes (among other things):

>If someone from Apple Computers is reading this, could you please check
>into this matter and let us all know how to get the new drivers. If I
>want to develop a commercial application using the newer Appletalk routines
>documented in volume 5 of Inside Mac, I would need to distribute the new
>drivers with the product (otherwise it won't work on a MacPlus). How much
>is the licensing fee in this case? Can these new drivers (perhaps in the
>form of an Init) be distributed for free?

At least one product that ships with this driver is Filemaker II, from
Claris Corporation (it was also distributed by Nashoba when Filemaker was
Filemaker 4).

If someone at Apple is not forthcoming with info on how to obtain and
legally distribute the AppleTalk driver for Mac Plusses (or if you can't
effectively work your way through the maze of developer support, service,
and marketing offices at Apple :-)), you might try getting in touch with
the FileMaker team at Claris (of course, assuming your product is not
going to be in direct competition with FileMaker -- but then you don't
have to discuss any unannounced products :-)).

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |