[comp.protocols.appletalk] appletalk

ken@pyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Hall) (01/14/88)

Please tell me if I am in the wrong newsgroup.

Here is my situation:

	I have two Mac +s linked together with appletalk cable.  An
Imagewriter II printer is hanging of one Mac.  One Mac has a hard disk,
one does not.  What networking software is recommended to share the hard
disk and the printer?

	Excuse my ignorance.  I am a novice with Apple.

Ken

kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) (01/14/88)

>        I have two Mac +s linked together with appletalk cable.  An
>Imagewriter II printer is hanging of one Mac.  One Mac has a hard disk,
>one does not.  What networking software is recommended to share the hard
>disk and the printer?

  I think this is a clear-cut TOPS situation. Check out the 'Applications
Only' (I think) column in the lates BYTE magazine.

/kenw

ken@pyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Hall) (01/15/88)

Does TOPS require a dedicated file server or can the file server act as
a work station?  And if so, how much degradation is there?

Ken

han@apple.UUCP (-- Byron B. Han --) (01/24/88)

In article <4779@pyr.gatech.EDU> ken@pyr.UUCP (Ken Hall) writes:

>	I have two Mac +s linked together with appletalk cable.  An
>Imagewriter II printer is hanging of one Mac.  One Mac has a hard disk,
>one does not.  What networking software is recommended to share the hard
>disk and the printer?

You may wish to purchase an AppleTalk card for the Imagewriter II.
Then Imagewriter II can then be shared by any Macintosh on your AppleTalk
network.  The IW II would not be directly attached to either Mac -

    Mac+    Mac+    IW II
    |       |       |
    O-------O-------O

is a sample configuration.  The O's are LocalTalk system connector kits
(formally AppleTalk Personal network system connection kits).

Sharing the hard disk can be done by purchasing a copy of Tops 2.0 for
each Mac+ (one for the client, one for the server).  Tops 2.0 is
supposed to be fully AFP compatible.  Some degradation of the server Macintosh
(the one with the hard disk) will be noticed and the overall performance
is not the same as having two locally attached hard disks, but the Tops
solution is very nice and elegant for your problem.

I personally run Tops between my two work machines in addition to AppleShare.
My server machine is a Mac II with 100M online, and 80M via AppleShare.
The client is a Prodigy SE with 20M online, 100M via Tops, and 80M via AShare.

AppleShare is more practical when the work group is larger.  For smallar
setup, Tops is better.  Also, Tops allows any hard disk on any Tops enabled
machine to be shared.  AppleShare only allows a central volume(s) to be
shared on a dedicated server.  Depends on your use.

Anyhow, this is NOT meant to start a religious Tops vs AppleShare war.  Each
has its niche.

This is not a product advertisement for AppleShare.  This is not an official
Apple review or endorsement for Tops.

The usual other disclaimers.

--
------------------------ Byron Han,  Communications Tool ----------------------
     Apple Computer, Inc.  20525 Mariani Ave, MS 27Y  Cupertino, CA 95014

whna@cgcha.uucp (Heinz Naef) (01/17/89)

A group of people using ~20 Mac's on an AppleTalk Personal Network will move
in a new building which will be equipped with IBM Type 1 shielded twisted
pair cabling. The Mac's will be scattered all over the eight floors of the
building.

After studying the AppleTalk brochure, it seems that even though there may
be up to 32 devices attached to one network, BUT the total cable length
shouldn't exceed 300 Meters (1000 feet). If you imagine a star-shaped
wiring scheme in a large building, this diameter may be easily exhausted
with 3 stations - even if they are in neighboring rooms!

Is there a better solution which would allow to attach the Mac's to the IBM
cabling while maintaining the full AppleTalk functionality transparently?
(I. e. the user doesn't recognize that anything changed in the attachment?)

Any comments are gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, and best regards,
Heinz Naef, c/o CIBA-GEIGY AG, R-1032.5.58, P.O.Box, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland
  Internet: whna%cgch.uucp@uunet.uu.net - Phone: (+41) 61 697 26 75
  BITNET:   whna%cgch.uucp@cernvax.bitnet - Fax: (+41) 61 697 32 88
  UUCP:     cgch!whna

tjh+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Tom Holodnik) (01/18/89)

Heinz,
        Here at CMU, we'd installed the IBM cabling system also, and were faced
with a similar problem. Our solution was to use Farallon PhoneNet, and
StarControllers. We have loads of these things, and they work pretty well. What
should be watched carefully, though, is connecting lots of things on remote ends
(say within a lab), or mixing PhoneNet and LocalTalk media (odd things happen).

        Within limits, it works well for us. I have no affiliation with Farallon
other than being a satisfied customer.

Hope this helps,
Tom

pyle@TANK.UCHICAGO.EDU ("K. Roger Pyle") (10/17/89)

      Reading an old News item, I saw that a request to you would get me on
your mail list. Please do so, and Thank You.
     K. Roger Pyler
     Sr. Res. Assoc.
     Univ. of Chicago       pyle@tank.uchicago.edu