[comp.protocols.appletalk] NBPLookup, etc.

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) (10/23/89)

How do you go about looking up names of all zones that you're connected to?
NBPLookup only finds names on a given zone, or the current zone, but I need
to be able to query all connected zones for registered names.

Any hints?

-------
Christopher Tate                  |  "Hear perfect strangers call you by name,
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu              |   Pay good money to hear Fire and Rain
 ..!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105   |   Again and again and again....
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet               |   That's why I'm here!"      -- JT

dave@ronin.us.cc.umich.edu (Dave Koziol) (10/23/89)

In article <89295.173327CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET> CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) writes:
>How do you go about looking up names of all zones that you're connected to?
>NBPLookup only finds names on a given zone, or the current zone, but I need
>to be able to query all connected zones for registered names.

One of the example programs Apple ships out does what you want (& more).
If you have anonymous ftp, you can snag it from apple.apple.com in
/pub/dts/mac/sc/sc-011-getzonelist.hqx

 Dave Koziol             | Internet: koziol@terminator.cc.umich.edu
 Computing Center        | Bitnet:   UserDave@umichum.bitnet
 University of Michigan  | UUCP:     ...!terminator!koziol
                         | GEnie:    D.KOZIOL1
 Disclaimer:   "They don't pay me enough to need a disclaimer"

jln@accuvax.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (10/23/89)

You need to make a ZIP Get Zone List request.  ZIP stands for "Zone
Information Protocol".  It's not documented in Inside Mac.  You'll have
to get a copy of "Inside AppleTalk".  Read chapter 8, which is devoted to
ZIP.

John Norstad       Northwestern University      jln@acns.nwu.edu