[comp.protocols.appletalk] Printronix/Appletalk Driver needed

lmiller@venera.isi.edu (Larry Miller) (11/01/89)

This is being posted for a friend.   All calls/responses should be posted
to her.  Any sent to me will be discarded.

Please contact the Rams by phone or US Mail.  They are not on the net.

The Los Angeles Rams Football team needs a specific piece of software written,
or a pointer to such a program if one exists.

The program is a driver for a Printronix 6000 series printer so that it can
run on an AppleTalk network.

[We have now exceeded my knowledge of these topics, so please direct all
enquiries to:

	Ms. Mary Olson
	10271 W. Pico Blvd.
	L.A., CA. 90064
	213-277-4700
]

jak9213@helios.TAMU.EDU (John Kane) (11/01/89)

In article <10351@venera.isi.edu>, lmiller@venera.isi.edu (Larry Miller) writes:

> The Los Angeles Rams Football team needs a specific piece of software written,
> or a pointer to such a program if one exists.
>
> The program is a driver for a Printronix 6000 series printer so that it can
> run on an AppleTalk network.
>
> [...]
>
> 	Ms. Mary Olson
> 	10271 W. Pico Blvd.
> 	L.A., CA. 90064
> 	213-277-4700

We have been able to print to sever Printronix 6000 series printers, in
a fashion. What we have are NetSerial boxes from Shiva. These boxes let
you plug any serial device into the NetSerial, and the NetSerial will
handle the AppleTalk part of the job.

This works, well enough. But we have to talk to the Printronix just like
any other serial printer. We have some programs that output to the
Printronix in this fashion, but it is NOT like using the File...
Print... menu. :-(

What we need is a driver, similar to AppleTalk ImageWriter, that would
let the mac print from any application to the Printronix. We would even
settle for a driver that must have the Printronix directly connected to
the mac.

Please include me on any distributions to Ms. Olson, I will repost to
the net.

Thanks.

 John Arthur Kane, Systems Analyst, Microcomputer Support and Training
 Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843  (409) 845-9999

 jak9213@helios.tamu.edu     profs: x043jk@tamvm1.tamu.edu