[comp.protocols.appletalk] Want a way to bypass Chooser when using NetModem: is easily programmable?

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (11/14/89)

When one normally uses a Shiva NetModem, one goes to the Chooser and selects
one of the listed NetModems.  Then you get a notice telling you whether that
modem is busy or not.  If it's busy, you try the next one in the list.

The people for whom I'm consulting would like to know if there is any simple
way to in effect bypass the Chooser and have some kind of Macro/program which
would go through the available NetModems automatically, and automatically
select the first one which is free.

I'm somewhat skilled in ToolBox programming, but haven't done much with
communications.  Is there any simple way to code this (I don't need the code,
just whether it's feasible :->).

Any info much appreciated!

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

han@apple.COM (Byron Han, Project Scapegoat) (11/15/89)

In article <6256@tank.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
> When one normally uses a Shiva NetModem, one goes to the Chooser and
selects
> one of the listed NetModems.  Then you get a notice telling you whether
that
> modem is busy or not.  If it's busy, you try the next one in the list.
>
> The people for whom I'm consulting would like to know if there is any
simple
> way to in effect bypass the Chooser and have some kind of Macro/program
which
> would go through the available NetModems automatically, and automatically
> select the first one which is free.

If the appropriate software is written (:-) using the Communications
Toolbox, a user could bring up the standard connection settings dialog and
select the appropriate connection tool.  A hypothetical Shiva Netmodem
tool might then be able to allow selection of all available Netmodems on
the network.  In this manner, the binding of Netmodem occurs at a much
lower level (at a one per session level) rather than on a higher (one per
Macintosh) level.

This wouldn't be too hard IMHOI :-)

This is not an official Apple endorsement of the Shiva Netmodem.

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                   |
Byron Han, CommToolbox Scapegoat  "DeAnza 3 - R.I.P. - 10/17/89 5:04PM"
20525 Mariani Ave, MS 69L         Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014               UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450              Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (11/15/89)

Thanks to all who helped!  It turns out that if you have the latest Shiva
software (we don't), you can shift-click to create a set of modems to try.
(I know, I know, RTFM.  But they didn't give me one.)