[comp.protocols.appletalk] Macdump: Where can I find it?

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (11/18/89)

In article <321@hermix.UUCP> lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) writes:
>Where can I find it? what hardware is needed?
>Will it run on a Sun running SunOS 4.0x? (we have a Sun 3/80)
>
>It sounds likt something we can use!
>Are sources available? Can I modify it to dump directly to a tape??

  I don't remember where it is officially kept, but I put it up in our
anonymous ftp directory.  eniac.seas.upenn.edu, 130.91.6.22.  Anon ftp
and cd to pub/macdump.  There is the Mac .hqx file and the Unix code in
shar and shar.Z format.

  You need an AppleTalk to ethernet gateway (FastPath, GatorBox) and
the cap and atalkad libraries.  It should run on a sparc machine, but
I never tested it on one.
  The unix code you get.  No Mac code provided.  It can dump to a "dump
area", and then have it's own tape management dump that to tape and keep
track of the dumps.  I'm not sure if you could modify it to dump directly
to tape.  Certainly not any type of streaming tape, as the throughput
on macdump isn't that high.

					Jeff White
					University of Pennsylvania
					jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu