[comp.protocols.appletalk] AppleTalkII

marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) (11/29/89)

What are the major differences between AppleTalk and AppleTalkII?  We
have APDA manual #A7G0019 with references from July,1986.  Is there another
manual available that discusses AppleTalkII?

Thanks for any postings concerning these questions.

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (12/01/89)

In article <936@mtk.UUCP> marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) writes:
>What are the major differences between AppleTalk and AppleTalkII?  We
>have APDA manual #A7G0019 with references from July,1986.  Is there another
>manual available that discusses AppleTalkII?
>
>Thanks for any postings concerning these questions.

The complete documentation for AppleTalk Phase 2 is available from APDA.

It consists of the following two products:
1)  Inside AppleTalk
    This is a book that is published by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
    and is available through bookstores, as well as through APDA.  It
    completely describes the AppleTalk protocols.  (576 pages)
    Part Number:  C0078LL/A    Price:  $32.95

2)  AppleTalk Phase 2 Protocol Specification:  An Addendum to Inside AppleTalk
    This is a book that is available only through APDA.  It is a companion
    book to Inside AppleTalk and completely describes AppleTalk Phase 2 that
    was announced in June, 1989.  (48 pages)
    Part Number:  C0144LL/A    Price:  $20.00

APDA (Apple Programmers and Developers Association) is Apple's distribution
channel for development tools and technical documentation.  You can reach
APDA at:  (800) 282-2732 or you can write to:
APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 33-G
Cupertino, CA  95014

APDA can also be reached via e-mail at:  APDA@applelink.apple.com

Hope this info helps.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail:  rickf@apple.com
AppleLink:  FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

clay@claris.com (Clay A. Maeckel) (12/02/89)

In article <936@mtk.UUCP> marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) writes:
>What are the major differences between AppleTalk and AppleTalkII?

While on the subject of AppleTalk Phase II, has anyone been doing any
AppleTalk development on a Phase II network? The new drivers seem to be
very sensitive to malformed packets and I managed to crash Apple's Internet
router and other non-development people's Macs. I tried the same buggy code
under Phase I and didn't have these problems (of course the code didn't work
but at least I didn't affect other people). When I fixed my bugs the Phase II
Macs were much happier.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I'm too dangerous for the net?

stacy@sobmips.UUCP (s.millions) (12/02/89)

From article <5525@internal.Apple.COM>, by rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman):
> In article <936@mtk.UUCP> marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) writes:
>>What are the major differences between AppleTalk and AppleTalkII?

> The complete documentation for AppleTalk Phase 2 is available from APDA.

OK, I'll bite. What is AppleTalk Phase 2? Please tell me it speeds
up AppleTalk, pleaassssse.

-stacy

--
"Farmer and 33 cows die in suicide pact"
	- The SUN	{uunet,attcan,mcgill-vission,telly}!sobeco!stacy

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (12/03/89)

In article <1989Dec1.173157.6363@sobmips.UUCP> stacy@sobmips.UUCP (s.millions) writes:
>From article <5525@internal.Apple.COM>, by rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman):
>> In article <936@mtk.UUCP> marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) writes:
>>>What are the major differences between AppleTalk and AppleTalkII?
>
>> The complete documentation for AppleTalk Phase 2 is available from APDA.
>
>OK, I'll bite. What is AppleTalk Phase 2? Please tell me it speeds
>up AppleTalk, pleaassssse.

  I believe the major differences is that it got rid of the limitation of
only being allowed to have 254 Mac's on EtherTalk, and also reduced the
number of broadcast packets it sent out, which people on TCP networks
didn't like because it added a lot of traffic.  Other people can provide
more detailed information.
  Oh, I'm just about positive that it doesn't do anything for Localtalk based
networks, just Mac's on ethernet.

					Jeff White
					University of Pennsylvania
					jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (Matthias Urlichs) (12/05/89)

In comp.protocols.appletalk clay@claris.com (Clay A. Maeckel) writes:
<
< While on the subject of AppleTalk Phase II, has anyone been doing any
< AppleTalk development on a Phase II network? The new drivers seem to be
< very sensitive to malformed packets and I managed to crash Apple's Internet
< router and other non-development people's Macs. [...]
< Has anyone else noticed this or am I'm too dangerous for the net?

Second.
It seems that Apple could use some lessons in robustness re System Software
in general (not only the router). Heck, on "real" OSes one can't (or at least
should not be able to) crash the system with any bad arguments to anything at
all unless these bad arguments are really clever (or even more stupid ;-) )...
--
Matthias Urlichs