[comp.protocols.appletalk] Internet appletalk gateways

DKRUGER@ucs.UAlberta.CA (Dwight Kruger) (12/01/89)

I am am attempting to collect some information on the collection of
internet appletalk gateways currently available.  Can anyone help
me fill in the following table?

        Fastpath    Gatorbox   Network   Seagate
                               Research

Memory   1 Meg       1 Meg      512 K       ?
telnet    Yes         Yes        Yes        Yes
NFS       ?           Yes        No         ?
Aufs      Yes         Yes        No         ?
Tops      No          No         Yes        ?
SNMP      Yes         Soon       Soon       ?
Routing   Soon        Yes        No         ?
Bridging  Yes         Yes        Yes        ?

Thanks

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (12/01/89)

In article <784@ucs.UAlberta.CA> DKRUGER@ucs.UAlberta.CA writes:
>I am am attempting to collect some information on the collection of
>internet appletalk gateways currently available.  Can anyone help
>me fill in the following table?
>
>        Fastpath    Gatorbox   Network   Seagate
>                               Research
>
>Tops      No          No         Yes        ?

  Neither a FastPath nor Gatorbox support TOPS?  TOPS has been out for a
couple of years, almost certainly before all but the FastPath.  What else
supports TOPS then?
  For you table, you might also wnat to add the Webster Multigate.  I think
I read that Shiva also announced a gateaway product.

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

asher@UHURA.CC.ROCHESTER.EDU (Samuel Asher) (12/02/89)

If you do something like this, please add something like:

Loadable from LocalTalk			Yes/No
Loadable from EtherTalk			Yes/No
Loadable from Apple-in-IP (bootp)	Yes/No

I will leave it to our friends from down under to describe the Webster
MultiGate, which does very well in all the categories except "Available
Today In The USA"

Also, another category for memory should be:

Maximum expansion:		X megabytes

paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scott Paisley) (12/04/89)

In article <17551@netnews.upenn.edu> jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) writes:

>     Neither a FastPath nor Gatorbox support TOPS?  TOPS has been out for a
>   couple of years, almost certainly before all but the FastPath.  What else
>   supports TOPS then?

I can't speak for the gatorbox, but I am running a FP4 and TOPS on a
sun 3/180.  The macs can talk to the sun with no trouble whatsoever.
Since the gatorbox and do simular things to a FP4 I would assume (uh
oh, here comes trouble) that it would work with tops as well.
--
"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed.  The
ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nbs.gov        ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (12/05/89)

In article <8912011838.AA13495@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>, asher@UHURA.CC.ROCHESTER.EDU (Samuel Asher) writes:

> I will leave it to our friends from down under to describe the Webster
> MultiGate, which does very well in all the categories except "Available
> Today In The USA"

We're planning to release it in the USA in late Feb. 1990.

> If you do something like this, please add something like:

Loadable from LocalTalk				_Yes_
Loadable from EtherTalk				_Yes_
Loadable from REAL LIVE FTP			_Yes_
  (from anonymous ftp to ~ftp/Boot on a nominated IP host)

			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au        |
Webster Computer Corp P/L       | "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd          |  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179    Australia  |  approximation"
Australia                       |
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  |      D. Conway

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) (12/08/89)

I am not sure what is meant by the "No" in the TOPS row but I know that the
GatorBox can coexist with TOPS without any problems.  We have tested with
it extensively on our network here at Cayman.

-Chris