[comp.protocols.appletalk] AppleShare on a IIci

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (12/15/89)

I've been having trouble setting up a IIci as a client machine on an
AppleShare network.  I'm running a test configuration with the IIci and
a plain old II.  Both machines have 5 megs of RAM, the IIci has a
MicroNet 173 meg drive, the II a CDC 90 meg, and AppleShare server
software is installed on a Quantum 80.  System 6.0.4 is used throughout;
Appleshare client 2.02 is on the IIci and the II, and the server version
is 2.01.

The problem: I can get the II to be the client when the IIci is hooked
up as the server without any problem.  However, when I try to reverse
the process and use the II as the server and the IIci as the client,
I keep getting ID=10 errors.  It doesn't matter if I boot off an
AppleShare Admin or Client floppy and unmount the hard disk on the ci,
if I turn off all inits, if I mess around with terminating the PhoneNet
connecting the machines.  I've basically tried all the suggestions in
the AppleShare docs, without success.

Basically an answer to this dilemma would be welcome, but any clues
as to what to try next would also be gratefully acknowledged.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

In article <1989Dec14.195325.16194@agate.berkeley.edu> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:
>I've been having trouble setting up a IIci as a client machine on an

Well, some news to report: the IIci has a 19" Radius color monitor
attached.  When I make it black & white, no more ID=10 bombolas; however,
when returning from mounting the AppleShare volume, the system hangs in
mid-redraw (the cursor still moves, but everything else is effectively
dead).  Could be the whole thing is related to some flakiness in the
Radius firmware; anyone have any ideas?