[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP & AppleSharePC

tonyg@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Tony Giaccone) (12/13/89)

I hope somebody out there can help me with this. Is anyone running
the AUFS, and using Apple's IBM/PC Appletalk PC card with AppleShare PC.

We've got a phone net set up with a Kinetics fastpath ethernet gateway.
AUFS is installed, and we've had no problems with the Mac's connected to
phone net mounting UNIX file systems as network disks.

However, I'm having a problem with a zenith IBM clone. I've installed
the Stanford TCP/IP appletalk drivers, and AppleSharePC on the clone.
The TCP/IP stuff (telnet&ftp) works fine. The AppleShare PC finds all
the zones on campus, and recognizes the both AUFS servers, and
dedicated Mac's running AppleShare. The problem comes when I try to
connect to an AUFS server. I can log on to my UNIX account, but when
I try to mount the volume as my E drive, I get a DOS error.

I don't have any trouble connecting to an Mac running as an AppleShare
server. That leads me to believe that there might be a problem with the
CAP software.  Anybody have any suggestions? Is anybody using AppleShare PC
to connect to a unix box running CAP?

					Tony

farrell@EREBUS.STANFORD.EDU (Phil Farrell) (12/13/89)

Tony relates problems trying to use AppleShare PC with AUFS.  The CAP
documentation specifically states that it will NOT work with AppleShare PC,
only with the AppleShare client that comes on the Mac.  Check the CAP
documentation for details.

Phil Farrell, Computer Systems Manager
Stanford University School of Earth Sciences
farrell@erebus.stanford.edu

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (12/15/89)

In article <Added.gZVNDFW00UkTAaQk8n@andrew.cmu.edu>, farrell@EREBUS.STANFORD.EDU (Phil Farrell) writes:
> Tony relates problems trying to use AppleShare PC with AUFS.  The CAP
> documentation specifically states that it will NOT work with AppleShare PC,
> only with the AppleShare client that comes on the Mac.

Our main fetchfile machine (munnari.cs.mu.oz.au) has the
following files on it:

Results of verbose list request at munnari.cs.mu.oz on Sat Nov 11 17:25:36 1989

file       multigate/pc.aufs/README.Z   1417  Nov  9 14:25
file       multigate/pc.aufs/afp.h.Z    4768  Nov  9 14:25  and...

afpdid.c.Z   11471	afpdir.c.Z    4819	afpfile.c.Z   3832
afpfork.c.Z   5722	afpos.c.Z     32306	afposenum.c.Z 7591
afposfi.c.Z   7010	afposncs.c.Z  8390	afpserver.c.Z 10065
afpvols.c.Z   6728	makefile      4827

This must be up for ftp in continental USA somewhere. Anyone (please
don't fetch them from here unless you're in oz :-)?

Yes, these are the CAP files that have been modified to work with
AppleShare PC.
			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au        |
Webster Computer Corp P/L       | "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd          |  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179    Australia  |  approximation"
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  |      D. Conway

2109 O'Toole Avenue, Suite J
SAN JOSE CA 95131 - 1303 CALIFORNIA
1-408-954-8054  FAX 1-408-954-1832