[comp.protocols.appletalk] RE>NCSA Telnet/Responder pr

Wolfgang_Naegeli.ED_TSRS@QM01.CTD.ORNL.GOV (Wolfgang Naegeli) (12/16/89)

         Reply to:   RE>NCSA Telnet/Responder probl
John Scott McCauley Jr.  (jsm@phoenix.princeton.edu) writes:

> I seem to have noticed the following problem. On a Mac+ with
> Appletalk Responder, NCSA Telnet over Appletalk is very slow.
> Getting rid of Responder helps speed things up quite a bit. On Mac
> SE's and II's, it doesn't seem to matter. Is there anything I can do
> to speed up a Mac+ with the Responder?

We were plagued by this problem too, and I thought I had seen it
on an SE as well, but now I am not absolutely positive about that.
It was about one year ago, when we were using Responder 1.0.
After discovering the cause, I had an exchange with InterCon (it also
happened with TCP/Connect) and Apple about it, and I believe Apple
fixed it.  I have not tested it extensively, but it appears that
Responder versions 1.0.1 and 1.1.1, which come with System
software 6.0.3 and 6.0.4 respectively do not interfere with NCSA
Telnet. We are now using the TCP version of NCSA Telnet 2.3 and
that in itself may have solved the problem (I haven't checked it with
the old Responder), but I know of at least on Mac Plus that ran
Responder 1.0.1 and NCSA Telnet 2.2 without problems.