[comp.protocols.appletalk] Accounting on an AppleShare server?

yvw@gmdzi.UUCP (Yvo Van Wezemael) (12/11/89)

The subject line already is the whole question. Is there a way
(modified AppleShare, init, rdev, commercial product...) to control
login/logout and/or operations on AppleShare servers?

Thanks in advance --- Yvo

--
Yvo Van Wezemael:
	German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)

YTHPRGDB@MTUS5.BITNET (12/13/89)

We have a network of eight Macs running off of an AppleShare server in
a writing workshop.  In order to control usage, we have set up a bit
of a conglomerate system, but it works pretty well:

The user list on the AppleShare server is used to determine user id's.
All the applications are on a separate partition of the local hard disk.
A macro to link the applications partition is available on the server.
A macro calls up Chooser, which gets the user id and password and logs
onto the server, then links up the applications partition.

Also, all of our applications have been "Doppleganged" (sp?) with
Doppelmaker, so the visible applications are not the actual ones --
the actual applications files are invisible -- this keeps the users
from copying the applications.

In addition, the AppleShare printer spooler captures the printers so
the users cannot print without logging on to the server first.

This may not be the simplest way to do things, but it seems to be
working for us.  Any ideas or input would be welcome (we are always
looking for ways to improve our lab!)

-------
 -- Noel Maddy                          Bitnet: ythprgdb@mtus5
Technical Consultant                    Snail: 210 Vivian
MTU CCLI Humanities Lab                        Hancock, MI  49930

chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) (12/16/89)

In article <89347.023020YTHPRGDB@MTUS5.BITNET> YTHPRGDB@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

##Also, all of our applications have been "Doppleganged" (sp?) with
##Doppelmaker, so the visible applications are not the actual ones --
##the actual applications files are invisible -- this keeps the users
##from copying the applications.

	This is not necessary.  There is an option in AppleShare 2.0 to set
a copy-protect feature on within the Administration utility which prevents
users from copying the applications.

##
##In addition, the AppleShare printer spooler captures the printers so
##the users cannot print without logging on to the server first.

	This is incorrect.  Users may print to the spooler without logging
into the AppleShare server at all.

##This may not be the simplest way to do things, but it seems to be
##working for us.  Any ideas or input would be welcome (we are always
##looking for ways to improve our lab!)
##
	To make things simpler, just drop the Doppelganger utility and use
the built-in features of AppleShare.

## -- Noel Maddy                          Bitnet: ythprgdb@mtus5
##Technical Consultant                    Snail: 210 Vivian
##MTU CCLI Humanities Lab                        Hancock, MI  49930

Christopher Krohn
Northwestern University

demarsee@ICARUS.CNS.SYR.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) (12/16/89)

>##Also, all of our applications have been "Doppleganged" (sp?) with
>##Doppelmaker, so the visible applications are not the actual ones --
>##the actual applications files are invisible -- this keeps the users
>##from copying the applications.

>This is not necessary.  There is an option in AppleShare 2.0 to set
>a copy-protect feature on within the Administration utility which prevents
>users from copying the applications.

 I would like to point out that there is a relatively trivial way
 to circumvent AppleShare 2.0's copy-protection system.  Apple has been
 informed of the problem, and hopefully is working on a solution (I
 have not heard of one yet).  I will say that both Doppleganger and
 Multilauncher, while not alleviating the problem, do make it a bit
 more difficult for a user to circumvent the copy-protection scheme.

 Note:  If you don't know this "relatively trivial way", then don't
        bother asking, I'm not going to tell you.

>To make things simpler, just drop the Doppelganger utility and use
>the built-in features of AppleShare.

 Due to the above-mentioned problem with AppleShare 2.0's copy-protection,
 Noel, I DO NOT recommend that you drop Doppelganger.

 Regards,

 Darryl Marsee <demarsee@icarus.cns.syr.edu>
 Syracuse University Postmaster, TechReper, & MacHacker

billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (12/16/89)

geo@orac.hss.bu.oz.au (George Bray) (12/17/89)

in article <89347.023020YTHPRGDB@MTUS5.BITNET>, YTHPRGDB@MTUS5.BITNET says:

> In addition, the AppleShare printer spooler captures the printers so
> the users cannot print without logging on to the server first.

How is this done? I thought being able to print to a spooled
LaserWriter was not dependent on a valid server login.

	geo
George Bray              >  CompuServe:72711,253       Phone:075-30-3705
Sand Consulting Pty Ltd  >  AppleLink:AUST0287        Mobile:
P.O. Box 157,            >  Internet:geo@orac.hss.bu.oz.au    MacNet:GEO
Bond University, 4229.   >  UUCP: ..!uunet!munnari!orac.hss.bu.oz.au!geo
A U S T R A L I A.       >  Disclaimer: All Applicable Disclaimers Apply

teener@apple.com (Michael Teener) (12/19/89)

In article <310@orac.hss.bu.oz.au> geo@orac.hss.bu.oz.au (George Bray)
writes:
> in article <89347.023020YTHPRGDB@MTUS5.BITNET>, YTHPRGDB@MTUS5.BITNET
says:

> > In addition, the AppleShare printer spooler captures the printers so
> > the users cannot print without logging on to the server first.
>
> How is this done? I thought being able to print to a spooled
> LaserWriter was not dependent on a valid server login.

You are correct.  The AppleShare printer spooler does *not* depend on the
AppleShare file server for some kind of login ... the "capture" Mr. Bray
talks about involves establishing a connection to the printer and
changing the printer device name from "LaserWriter" to "LaserShared" so
that the chooser doesn't list it.

---- Michael Teener -- 408-974-3521 ---------------------------------+
---- Internet teener@apple.com, AppleLink TEENER                     |
---- Apple may know my opinions, but *I* am responsible for them     |
Transportation by Cheetah N9900U, a loyal beast for the past 5 years.