[comp.protocols.appletalk] Shiva NetSerial Review

jness@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Joel Ness) (12/11/89)

   We've just installed a NetSerial in a lab full of MacIIcx's to allow
them to share an HP PaintJet. It seems to work quite well and is
transparent to the user. You just select the HP driver in the chooser
and leave it set for printing out the phone port (even though there is
nothing hooked up to the phone port). The NetSerial driver intercepts
anything sent out the phone port, bundles it up in AppleTalk packets,
and shoots it out the printer port to the NetSerial device itself.

   The NetSerial device then unbundles the packets and prints right to
the HP as though it was connected directly to the Mac. If you have more
than one NetSerial on the network you can choose which one you want
things to go to right from the chooser. These things are more commonly
used to share a modem, and they can be set to modem pool--give you the
next available modem if you have more than one available.

   All in all we're happy with it and it's given us a cheap solution for
sharing a serial printer without burdening our students with using
switchboxes, etc.

Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL
University of Minnesota, Duluth

klong@wilkins.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) (12/19/89)

In article <3074@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> jness@ub.d.umn.edu.UUCP (Joel Ness) writes:

>   We've just installed a NetSerial ...
>   It seems to work quite well...
>
>Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
>Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL

Our experience with the NetSerial has been mixed, and I'd like to ask if
anyone else has the problems we've had.  We use our NetSerial to allow
people to dial in from home into our AppleTalk network.  Our basic setup
is:

      Home -- Hayes 2400 -- phone -- Hayes 2400 --   Shiva   -- Office
      User    baud modem    lines    baud modem    NetSerial    Network

People can call up from home and print small files to printers, etc, with
no problem.  But if we equip the home machine with TOPS and try to mount
a volume at the office or use ncsa telnet to pull a file off of one of
our unix hosts gatewayed through the office network's fastpath, the
connection is inevitably dropped, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes
after 10.

Phone Line
==========
We have great confidence in the quality of the phone connection--haven't
logged a garbage character in 2 years.  It's all within the same phone
exchange, and most of the route is fiber.

NetSerial
=========
We sent in our NetSerial to have it upgraded and have installed the latest
version of the NetSerial drivers as of Nov 1 on the relevant machines.
We have also connected the NetSerial up to an ethernet-to-serial line
multiplexor to have it act as a shared serial port onto our ethernet,
and it's worked very well for everyone in the office in outbound mode,
to access peripherals, to log in to machines, to kermit over files, etc.

The software
============
We're running TOPS 3.0 on MacOS6.0.4, but have had the problem also with all
previous TOPS versions we've happened to try.  NCSA Telnet is the 2.3 TCP
version.  This software works fine among machines on the office network,
and we're sure that everyone is running the same version of the software.

The Modems
==========
We're using Hayes-compatible 2400-baud modems, that have worked flawlessly
in every other application over the past few years.
We've also tried using Telebit T2500 9600-baud modems configured
according to Shiva's instructions, but with identical results.

The Office Network
==================
Our conclusion: the NetSerial is unreliable in this scheme.  It is dropping
the line.  Is anyone else having these experiences?

	Kevin Long
	Baylor College of Medicine
	klong@bcm.tmc.edu

john@trigraph.uucp (John Chew) (12/20/89)

In <1861@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> klong@wilkins.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) writes:
>People can call up from home and print small files to printers, etc, with
>no problem.  But if we equip the home machine with TOPS and try to mount
>a volume at the office or use ncsa telnet to pull a file off of one of
>our unix hosts gatewayed through the office network's fastpath, the
>connection is inevitably dropped, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes
>after 10.
>	Kevin Long
>	Baylor College of Medicine
>	klong@bcm.tmc.edu

I knew there had to be someone else out on the net with the same problem.

We have tried several times to get a similar system working.  We run
6.0.3 instead of 6.0.4, have used T-2500's exclusively, and are using
TeleBridges instead of NetSerials, but we kept running into the same
problem.

Shiva tech support acknowledges that several users have reported similar
problems, but have never been able to duplicate the problem in-house
due to their lack of appropriate hardware (a FastPath box).

The problem does not occur if nothing is running across the connection,
but if a Telnet is running, the connection dies after a variable amount
of time (usually several minutes).  I noticed that if you can catch
your local TeleBridge just after it goes catatonic but before it dies
completely, sending it any sort of ZIP request wakes it up.  Our local
workaround therefore was a DA that users could leave running that would
do a GetZoneList once a minute.

John
--
john j. chew, iii   		  phone: +1 416 425 3818     AppleLink: CDA0329
trigraph, inc., toronto, canada   {uunet!utai!utcsri,utgpu,utzoo}!trigraph!john

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (12/20/89)

In article <1861@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, klong@wilkins.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) writes:
> Our experience with the NetSerial has been mixed, and I'd like to ask if
> anyone else has the problems we've had.

> People can call up from home and print small files to printers, etc, with
> no problem.  But if we equip the home machine with TOPS and try to mount
> a volume at the office or use ncsa telnet to pull a file off of one of
> our unix hosts gatewayed through the office network's fastpath, the
> connection is inevitably dropped, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes
> after 10.

I've had people with similar problems with other serial link hardware
and software, specifically running one of the electronic mail
packages. They find that short messages are fine, but long ones die.
How long is long? About 2000 characters or so. The following from 2
months ago gives a good explanation of a possible reason: Note that
this addresses AppleShare, but applies to all programs that use
AppleTalk's Transaction Protocol (ATP) - this is most of them. Note
(for explanation) that a BIG data request on ATP looks like:

Req. Device:	[Request]
Rsp. Device:	         [RSP1] [RSP2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]

so there are from 1 to 8 response packets (568 bytes each). This
depends on how much data was asked for. Anyway, the article:

> Date: 17 Oct 89 03:32:00 GMT
> Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Does anyone have a fix for this piece of Apple stupidity?

Externally it appears that the AppleShare code uses the following
retransmission scheme:

During the server signon the user MAC sends a full size echo packet and
records the elapsed time until the reply. This time is then 2 times the
one way packet time.

It doubles this and uses that as the ATP timeout time. It is now 4 times
the one way packet time.

It then sends an 8 packet ATP request with a 4 packet time timeout. Guess
what happens. While the 5th packet is coming in it asks for a resend of
the last 4 packets.

Now things really go to H... in a Handbasket. It uses the first copy of the
last 4 packets and requests the next group of 8. Those 8 end up behind the
second copy of the last 4 packets. Timeout, Timeout, Timeout ...

We informed Apple of this problem over two years ago. To err is human but
not to be able fix one's mistakes is stupidity.

Does anyone know where the 2 is that is used for the doubling? I would like
to change to about 8.

PS. Many thanks to Jim Bruyn, Computer Systems Group, University of
Waterloo for the ResEdit location of the Broadcast retry interval.

---------

Other articles that followed this said where the "2" is and how to
patch it. Do Shiva give you in INIT or something to drop in your
System folder to patch these numbers for you?

			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au        |
Webster Computer Corp P/L       | "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd          |  existence is an
Scoresby, Melbourne 3179        |  approximation"
Victoria, Australia             |
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  |      D. Conway

2109 O'Toole Avenue, Suite J
SAN JOSE CA 95131 - 1303 CALIFORNIA
1-408-954-8054  FAX 1-408-954-1832