[comp.protocols.appletalk] NCSA Telnet/Responder problem

jsm@ss01.pppl.gov@ccc.nmfecc.gov (John Scott McCauley Jr.) (12/15/89)

I seem to have noticed the following problem. On a Mac+ with Appletalk
Responder, NCSA Telnet over Appletalk is very slow. Getting rid of
Responder helps speed things up quite a bit. On Mac SE's and II's, it
doesn't seem to matter. Is there anything I can do to speed up a Mac+
with the Responder?

	Thanks,

		Scott
jsm%ss01.pppl.gov@ccc.nmfecc.gov
	-or-
jsm@phoenix.princeton.edu

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (12/18/89)

In article <215@ss01.pppl.gov@ccc.nmfecc.gov>, jsm@ss01.pppl.gov@ccc.nmfecc.gov (John Scott McCauley Jr.) writes:
> I seem to have noticed the following problem. On a Mac+ with Appletalk
> Responder, NCSA Telnet over Appletalk is very slow. Getting rid of
> Responder helps speed things up quite a bit.

1. Ditch responder. 2. Try the new version that came with System 6.04.
If that fixes it, please let us all know.

Didn't we fix this one? From 13 Months ago...

> From: wnn@dsunx1.dsrd.ornl.gov (W. N. Naegeli)
> Newsgroups: comp.protocols.appletalk
> Subject: Responder problems
> Date: 17 Nov 88 20:50:07 GMT
> Sender: usenet@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

> We have recently had a great deal of problems and lost many hours to detective
> work until we found Apple's Responder as the culprit.
>      The problem affected Mac Plus users of NCSA Telnet 2.2 and TCP/Connect.
> In most cases, when the user tried to open a connection, she or he would get
> a message that Telnet (or TCP/Connect) could not connect to the host and a
> second message stating that the Local host or Gateway was not responding.
> If a connection was established, it was usually extremely sluggish, with long
> delays until characters entered at the keyboard would be echoed, and pauses
> of up to 30 seconds during the display of long text documents.  Sometimes
> the connection simply timed out in the middle of a session.  Interestingly,
> this problem was not experienced by a Mac II user on the same LocalTalk
> segment as the Mac Pluses.

This was followed (Nov 88 - wish I'd kept copies) by the respective
authors of NCSA Telnet and Responder exchanging postings over
the net as they went about investigationg the problem.

Was it ever fixed? After more than a year the suspense is killing me :-)

			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au        |
Webster Computer Corp P/L       | "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd          |  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179               |  approximation"
Australia                       |
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  |      D. Conway

2109 O'Toole Avenue, Suite J
SAN JOSE CA 95131 - 1303 CALIFORNIA
1-408-954-8054  FAX 1-408-954-1832

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (12/19/89)

In article <525@wcc.oz>, tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) writes:
> This was followed (Nov 88 - wish I'd kept copies) by the respective
> authors of NCSA Telnet and Responder exchanging postings over
> the net as they went about investigationg the problem.
>
> Was it ever fixed? After more than a year the suspense is killing me :-)

I was one of the people who was in on that discussion.  We all kind of
scratched our heads and said, "darned if we can find the problem," and went
on to more tractable bugs.  As I remember, it only happened on the Mac Plus,
and only in certain configurations.  My guess was that it was a memory
problem of some sort, but I couldn't find any such problem.  Responder
certainly didn't seem to be eating any resources (it's really pretty
simple as INITs go...).  Until now I had't seen anyone else report it.  Sigh.

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
--

jsm@ss01.pppl.gov@ccc.nmfecc.gov (John Scott McCauley Jr.) (12/19/89)

In article <525@wcc.oz> tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) writes:
>In article <215@ss01.pppl.gov@ccc.nmfecc.gov>, jsm@ss01.pppl.gov@ccc.nmfecc.gov (John Scott McCauley Jr.) writes:
>> I seem to have noticed the following problem. On a Mac+ with Appletalk
>> Responder, NCSA Telnet over Appletalk is very slow. Getting rid of
>> Responder helps speed things up quite a bit.
>
>1. Ditch responder. 2. Try the new version that came with System 6.04.
>If that fixes it, please let us all know.
>
>Didn't we fix this one? From 13 Months ago...

I tried a 6.0.4 system with responder 1.1.1 and the problem seems to have
been fixed. I tried adding the 1.1.1 responder to a 6.0.3 system, and that
didn't help.

Now trying to figure out why Appleshare under 6.0.4 wants to redo the
desktop file on the file servers....

	Thanks,

		Scott

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (12/20/89)

In article <1639@intercon.com>, amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
> In article <525@wcc.oz>, tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) writes:
> > Was it ever fixed? After more than a year the suspense is killing me :-)
>
> I was one of the people who was in on that discussion.  We all kind of
> scratched our heads and said, "darned if we can find the problem," and went
> on to more tractable bugs.

I got the following as mail:

> There are
> bugs in the AppleTalk in the ROM of the Mac Plus.  Try installing
> the software AppleTalk drivers in your Mac Plus.  I think then
> Responder will work fine.
>
> I have not tried this personally, but have run into some of the
> problems with AppleTalk on the Plus, in our software development,
> and installing the software AppleTalk drivers solved the problem.

Looks good. Can anyone confirm?

			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au        |
Webster Computer Corp P/L       | "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd          |  existence is an
Scoresby, Melbourne 3179        |  approximation"
Victoria, Australia             |