[comp.protocols.appletalk] Alternate AT problem

Wolfgang_Naegeli.ED_TSRS@QM01.CTD.ORNL.GOV (Wolfgang Naegeli) (12/20/89)

REGARDING                Alternate AT problem
I am experiencing a strange problem on a 512ke. When booting, a message appears
on the screen saying,

    The alternate AppleTalk driver could not be found.
    The built-in network will be used instead.

The only option is to click OK.

When I open the 'Network' CDEV, 'Built-in' is not highlighted. (I have no AT
drivers on the startup disk, and I copied 'Network' to it only to check on
this.) I can highlight 'Built-in' by clicking it, but this does not stick. When
I leave the CDEV and return to it, 'Built-in' is deselected again.

I can use the same startup disk on a Mac Plus or Mac II without any complaints
and when I check 'Network' on the Plus, 'Built-in' is highlighed.
I have even locked the disk after making sure it was set right on the Plus, but
no luck on the 512ke.

Is there something in Parameter RAM? How can it be reset?

The machine has a Dove MacSnap 548s upgrade to 2MB and SCSI port.
MacEnvy reports 128k ROM, rev.2.
SysInfo reports ROM version 117 and ROM Patch version 1540.
I am using System 6.0.4 and Finder 6.1.4.

This problem occurs even if I start up from a Floppy that has nothing on it
other than the System and the Finder files (plus the hidden Desktop file of
course).

Any explanation or hints will be appreciated.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-3895

richb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Richard E. Brown) (12/22/89)

#
#    The alternate AppleTalk driver could not be found.
#    The built-in network will be used instead.
#
#The only option is to click OK.
#
#...
#
#Is there something in Parameter RAM? How can it be reset?
#
#Any explanation or hints will be appreciated.
#
#Wolfgang N. Naegeli
#Oak Ridge National Laboratory
#Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
#Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-3895

My understanding is that Mac Plus and above have an extended PRAM, whose
purpose, among other things, is to hold the name of the alternate AppleTalk
driver.  Apple reserves the right to use all the new locations.  Since a 512KE
does not have this extended PRAM, it cannot supply a correct name.  It seems
the only alternatives are:
1) don't use the alternate LAP drivers (or the Network cdev); or
2) click OK each time you restart the Mac.

Rich Brown                    E-Mail: richard.e.brown@dartmouth.edu
Manager of Special Projects   Preferred AppleLink address:
Dartmouth College                richard.e.brown@dartmouth.edu@dasnet#
Kiewit Computer Center        Alternate AppleLink address:  A0183
Hanover, NH 03755 USA         Telephone: 603/646-3648

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (12/22/89)

In article <18007@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> richb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Richard E. Brown) writes:
>My understanding is that Mac Plus and above have an extended PRAM, ...
>Since a 512KE
>does not have this extended PRAM, it cannot supply a correct name.  It seems
>the only alternatives are:
>1) don't use the alternate LAP drivers (or the Network cdev); or
>2) click OK each time you restart the Mac.

There is an init that purports to give a 512KE this extended PRAM (it
works by stashing the extra bytes in a resource in the system file on
shutdown, and fetching them on startup, I believe.)  I don't remember
the exact name; something clever, like xparaminit.  It's on sumex.
If the extended PRAM is the problem, this init *might* fix it.

Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765