[comp.protocols.appletalk] Liaison, AppleShare, and other fun stuff

billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (01/12/90)

In article <9001111621.AA03743@icarus.cns.syr.EDU> demarsee@ICARUS.CNS.SYR.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) writes:
>A few questions:
>
>1)  I'm trying to connect a Mac over a modem connection to our campus
>    AppleTalk using Liaison 1.0.1.  The problem is that, after the
>    connection is made, I can see all the zones, but none of the
>    services in the zones, except for the zone the Mac I'm dialing
>    in to is on.  Our campus AppleTalk is your standard IP network
>    with K-boxes running K-STAR, controlled by atalkad on a Unix box.
>    Does anyone know why I can't see these services outside my home
>    zone, and how to fix it?

This is because atalkad is a static system.  A good rule of thumb is that
you cannot connect any router to an atalkad network unless it is a KFPS
running K-STAR (or KIP), and is entered into the atalkatab for atalkad.

Here is why.  First fact: K-boxes do not send RTMP packets along the routes
they receive via atalkad.  So, you add your new router (Liason) to your
network.  Only networks connected to this network via a TRUE appletalk router
or a sequence of TRUE appletalk routers will discover that this new network
exists and therefore, only routers on those networks can properly route packets
to the new networks (i.e. to your home).  All this basically comes down to
the fact that atalkad is a awful hack and not a true solution to appletalk
routing.  You will learn to hate atalkad later.

A cheap, hacked solution:

Make an entry for the network number you have at home like this:

x.x	K	aa.bb.cc.dd

where x.x is the new network in Kinetics screwy x.x format, and aa.bb.cc.dd
is the IP address of the closest K-STAR (or KIP) KFPS which is already in your
atalkatab.  Then reboot all your boxes (atalkad boot), and have a ball!!

-Steve Bollinger
billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu

josh@cayman.com (Josh Littlefield) (01/13/90)

In artical <1990Jan12.080330.935@caen.engin.umich.edu> you writes:

>> In article <9001111621.AA03743@icarus.cns.syr.EDU> demarsee@ICARUS.CNS.SYR.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) writes:
>> >A few questions:
>> >
>> >1)  I'm trying to connect a Mac over a modem connection to our campus
>> >    AppleTalk using Liaison 1.0.1.  ....

>> This is because atalkad is a static system.  A good rule of thumb is that
>> you cannot connect any router to an atalkad network unless it is a KFPS
>> running K-STAR (or KIP), and is entered into the atalkatab for atalkad.
>>
>> Here is why.  First fact: K-boxes do not send RTMP packets along the routes
>> they receive via atalkad.  ...

This is not completely true.  If you make one or some of your FastPaths a
core router (add the "C" flag next to the "K" flag), then all the atalkad
FastPaths will exchange routing information via the "AA" protocol (not
exactly RTMP).  The basic idea is that once per minute each non-core router
sends an aaROUTEQ packet to one core router, containing locally discovered
routes.  The core router responds with an aaROUTE packet containing all
routes it knows about which it didn't learn from the atalkad daemon.  Since
the routing tuples are "3rd party" the core router does not become a
bottleneck to traffic, only a clearinghouse for routes.

-josh

Josh Littlefield					Cayman Systems, Inc.
							University Park at MIT
josh@cayman.com 					26 Landsdowne Street
(617) 494-1999  					Cambridge, MA  02139