[comp.protocols.appletalk] VT220 emulation

lefty@twg.com (David N. Schlesinger) (02/13/90)

In article <Added.UZoiPsS00Ui3IAuE9J@andrew.cmu.edu> CUSTEAD@SASK.USask.CA
writes:
> We are in need of Macintosh Telnet with VT220 support.
>
> Are here any ... implementations of Telnet (PD or Commercial) which
> provide VT220 emulation?

Well, my company markets MacPathWay Access, which provides VT220 (and
TN3270) emulation over Telnet, as well as FTP support.  I'll have somebody in our Marketing group send you a bunch of glossy stuff to look at...

Best regards,

Lefty

          David N. Schlesinger   || "There's a word for it: words don't
          The Wollongong Group   ||  mean a thing.  There's a name for it;
Internet: Lefty@twg.com          ||  names make all the difference in the
POTS:     415/962-7219           ||  world..." -- David Byrne

perl@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (02/13/90)

In article <Added.UZoiPsS00Ui3IAuE9J@andrew.cmu.edu> CUSTEAD@SASK.USask.CA writes:
> We are in need of Macintosh Telnet with VT220 support.  Recently on this
> list there was a reference to TCP/Connect from Intercon which has this
> capability.  Are here any other implementations of Telnet (PD or
> Commercial) which provide VT220 emulation?

Well sort of... The new version of VersaTerm (v 4.1, ~$150) supports
full vt220 (even double high, double wide characters).  Then you
buy the TCP/IP driver for VersaTerm from InterCon (another $150).
BTW, don't but VersaTerm PRO unless you realy need the extra tek
emulation - don't remember which terminal it adds -- regular
VersaTerm does 4014.

Of course you could just buy MacConnect for about the same $$ (if
you wait for version 2.0 they throw in NNTP).

I like VersaTerm's interface but I'm not sure it's worth the
extra expense.
--
   "The universe is not only queerer than we imagine,
    but it is queerer than we can imagine."  J.B.S. Haldane

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (02/14/90)

In article <769@pbseps.UUCP>, perl@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) writes:
> Of course you could just buy MacConnect for about the same $$ (if
> you wait for version 2.0 they throw in NNTP).

Well, close :-).  We are approaching release of TCP/Connect II (some of
you probably saw our product preview at InterOp), which includes POP/SMTP
based mail and NNTP-based news.  However, the retail price for the fully
laid-out version will probably be $495.00, just as our current top-of-the-line
product is.

If all you need is VT220 emulation over telnet, you can get that now for
$295.00.  We are also working out the details of an upgrade plan to TCP/Connect
II for current customers.

If you want more information, give us a call--I don't want to clutter up
the net with evil nasty commercial postings :-).

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view."
	--Obi-Wan Kenobi in "Return of the Jedi"

kdb@InterCon.com (Kurt Baumann) (02/14/90)

In article <769@pbseps.UUCP>, perl@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) writes:
> In article <Added.UZoiPsS00Ui3IAuE9J@andrew.cmu.edu> CUSTEAD@SASK.USask.CA writes:
> > We are in need of Macintosh Telnet with VT220 support.  Recently on this
> > list there was a reference to TCP/Connect from Intercon which has this
> > capability.  Are here any other implementations of Telnet (PD or
> > Commercial) which provide VT220 emulation?
>
> Well sort of... The new version of VersaTerm (v 4.1, ~$150) supports
> full vt220 (even double high, double wide characters).  Then you
> buy the TCP/IP driver for VersaTerm from InterCon (another $150).
> BTW, don't but VersaTerm PRO unless you realy need the extra tek
> emulation - don't remember which terminal it adds -- regular
> VersaTerm does 4014.
>
> Of course you could just buy MacConnect for about the same $$ (if
> you wait for version 2.0 they throw in NNTP).

Opps, thats TCP/Connect II not MacConnect version 2.0.  If you get the extended
version you get NNTP, SLIP, SMNP, VT241, TN3270, Tek 4014, POP/SMTP...  etc.

Thanks for the plug though.