[comp.protocols.appletalk] Apple and SLIP/PPP.

tjh+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Tom Holodnik) (02/14/90)

Excerpts from internet.info-appletalk: 13-Feb-90 Re:
Telnet/MacTCP/Appletalk Rakesh Patel@rutgers.edu (110)

> Date: 13 Feb 90 02:05:50 GMT
> From: njin!rapatel@rutgers.edu  ( Rakesh Patel)
> Subject: Re: Telnet/MacTCP/Appletalk
> To: info-appletalk@andrew.cmu.edu

> Are there any plans to support SLIP w/header compression or PPP in
> future releases of MacTCP?

> Rakesh Patel.

I'd like to add my voice to those requesting support for SLIP and/or PPP
on the Mac.

-tom

Gavin_Eadie@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (02/14/90)

MacTCP has a LAP layer which is serviced by code modules (resources
of type 'iplp' - two of them so far for AppleTalk and the ethernet
card). I would not be surprised to see that interface documented one
of these days, in which case writing a SLIP or PPP module will be
'easy'
---
Gavin Eadie, U of Michigan Information Systems

DHWalker@uci.edu (David Walker) (02/16/90)

In article <5662248@um.cc.umich.edu> Gavin_Eadie@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
> MacTCP has a LAP layer which is serviced by code modules (resources
> of type 'iplp' - two of them so far for AppleTalk and the ethernet
> card). I would not be surprised to see that interface documented one
> of these days, in which case writing a SLIP or PPP module will be
> 'easy'

I'm glad to hear that the code was designed well, but it still needs to be
written.  I'll add my voice to those asking for an "iplp" with a PPP
driver.

                               David Walker
                               Network Services Manager
                               UC Irvine