[comp.protocols.appletalk] more MACtcp/telnet problems

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (02/14/90)

In article <ID4610.D900213.T121107.CJM@UNB.CA> CJM@UNB.CA writes:

> I am trying to use the MACTCP version of NCSA's Telnet in a setup where
>  my Gateway is not in the same Zone as my Telnet session. I am having
>  with this. My Gateway and Telnet session cannot seem to communicate.
>  I have investigated the problem and found that it seems to be
>  with MACTCP.

I asked a similar question some time ago, and below is one of the answers:
(from minshallEkinetics.com (Greg Minshall), THANKS!)
---
> Is it possible to set up one (for the whole university) FastPath or
> a GatorBox as a EtherTalk-tcp/ip bridge and have it perform the
> neccesary conversion?
> Would it work? If not, why? Are the alternative solutions?

With K-STAR on a FastPath, this is possible. You need to select option
7 (and, by the way, configure things properly everywhere else), and it
will service "MacIP" clients (be they NCSA Telnet, our HostAccess, whatever)
connected "via" ethertalk as well as localtalk.

(By the way, selecting option 7 implies that only one K-STAR (or KIP) box
may be "in" the same zone - where "in a zone" means "has the same zone
assigned to its localtalk port".)
---

I've tried it, and it works. I can't find option 7 documented anywhere, and
I don't know if it is an official feature or not.

dixon@sagittarius.crd.ge.com (walt dixon) (02/14/90)

> I am trying to use the MACTCP version of NCSA's Telnet in a setup where
>  my Gateway is not in the same Zone as my Telnet session. I am having
>  with this. My Gateway and Telnet session cannot seem to communicate.
>  I have investigated the problem and found that it seems to be
>  with MACTCP. When I first start a Telnet session it uses NBP to
>  try to tell the gateway about itself. Instead of sending this
>  to the gateway it stays in the current zone. ( instead of putting
>  the zone name at the end of the string it puts a * ). It does this
>  even though a have configured MACTCP with the Gateway address and
>  have selected the zone the gatway is in on the first configuration
>  panel.

We had a similar problem.  It's not really clear whether the gateway
or MacTCP is doing something wrong.  When MacTCP opens a session,  it
does a NBP request looking for gateways.  The gateway (kinetics in our
case) responds,  but it uses its backbone address rather than its
local address.  MacTCP will only talk to gateways in its own zone.
We solved the problem (with the aid of a very helpful Apple MacTCP
developer) by changing the netmask in the MacTCP configuration to
ff000000.  This change solved our problem.

Walt Dixon	{arpa:		dixon@crd.ge.com	}
		{us mail:	ge crd			}
		{		po box 8		}
		{		schenectady,  ny 12301	}
		{phone:		518-387-5798		}

Walt Dixon dixon@crd.ge.com

billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (02/15/90)

In article <1990Feb14.090017.14223@lth.se> roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) writes:
>In article <ID4610.D900213.T121107.CJM@UNB.CA> CJM@UNB.CA writes:
>>
>> I am trying to use the MACTCP version of NCSA's Telnet in a setup where
>>  my Gateway is not in the same Zone as my Telnet session. I am having
>>  with this. My Gateway and Telnet session cannot seem to communicate.
>>  I have investigated the problem and found that it seems to be
>>  with MACTCP.
>
>I asked a similar question some time ago, and below is one of the answers:
>(from minshallEkinetics.com (Greg Minshall), THANKS!)
>---
>> Is it possible to set up one (for the whole university) FastPath or
>> a GatorBox as a EtherTalk-tcp/ip bridge and have it perform the
>> neccesary conversion?
>> Would it work? If not, why? Are the alternative solutions?
>
>With K-STAR on a FastPath, this is possible. You need to select option
>7 (and, by the way, configure things properly everywhere else), and it
>will service "MacIP" clients (be they NCSA Telnet, our HostAccess, whatever)
>connected "via" ethertalk as well as localtalk.
>
>(By the way, selecting option 7 implies that only one K-STAR (or KIP) box
>may be "in" the same zone - where "in a zone" means "has the same zone
>assigned to its localtalk port".)
>---
>
>I've tried it, and it works. I can't find option 7 documented anywhere, and
>I don't know if it is an official feature or not.

Option 7 is documented in the docs for K-STAR 7.0 and K-STAR 8.0.

-Steve

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (02/16/90)

In article <5255@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, dixon@sagittarius.crd.ge.com (walt dixon) writes:
> > I am trying to use the MACTCP version of NCSA's Telnet in a setup where
> >  my Gateway is not in the same Zone as my Telnet session. I am having
>
> We had a similar problem...
> The gateway ... responds,  but it uses its backbone address...
> MacTCP will only talk to gateways in its own zone.
> We solved the problem  by changing the netmask in the MacTCP
> configuration to ff000000.

MacTCP version 1.0 will only talk to IPGATEWAYs in it's own IP NETWORK
(not zone). I found this too and was advised (by very helpful
Developer Support person) that it is fixed in MacTCP 1.0.1 - announced
as released end Feb. in this newsgroup.

MacTCP won't let you set the netmask to 255.0.0.0 if your network isn't
Class A (<126). Likewise 255.255.0.0 and Class B. Tough if you're
Class C.
			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au        |
Webster Computer Corp P/L       | "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd          |  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179               |  approximation"
Australia                       |
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  |      D. Conway