[comp.protocols.appletalk] AppleShare vs Oscar vs PublicFolder

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/19/90)

In article <742@suntops.Tops.Sun.COM> cohen@santa_fe.Tops.Sun.COM (Michael Cohen) writes:

> In article <10880@claris.com> peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) writes:
> >In article <741@suntops.Tops.Sun.COM> cohen@santa_fe.tops.sun.com (Michael Cohen) writes:
> >>  PublicFolder [uses] ADSP.
> >
> >Ahem, Public Folder does not use ADSP.  It uses ATP.

> Sorry about this mistake.  I knew that Pete Helme's "Oscar" is based on
> ADSP, so I assumed that PublicFolder was as well.

Just as a matter of possible interest, I did some non-scientific benchmarking
and discovered that Oscar and Public Folder transfer files at the same rate,
regardless of the difference in protocols (most of my tests were with a 900K
file).  Both are approximately 4x (I think) the speed of copying a file from
an AppleShare server (LocalTalk or EtherTalk).

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.