[comp.protocols.appletalk] NCSA telnet

dk1z+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU.UUCP (06/11/87)

  Gaige has just released version 1.12 of NCSA Telnet. This version fixed the
problem that I ran into last week with binary mode transfers. The transfer
now works correctly and the guy using it is quite happy again. Gaige was
*very* prompt with fixing this and quite helpful all around.

-David Kovar

cpd@CS.UCLA.EDU (Charles Dolan) (10/14/87)

I seem to be having some trouble getting through to UIUC.  Can someone
put the bin hex file either on SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU or C.CS.CMU.EDU?

-Charlie Dolan
cpd@cs.ucla.edu

paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) (11/30/88)

I have a problem with NCSA Telnet.  I can connect to out Sun-4 fine
(through KFPS-4 running K-Star), but after about 3 minutes, the
connection freezes up.  I can close the connection, but cannot
open another one until I quit the program and restart it.  Is this
a knowb bug with NCSA Telnet?

On a similar note, I have been trying to get SU-MacIP running (since
NCSA Telnet does not work well).  Unfortunately, I can't get that
to work at all.  I have two KFPS gateways with IP address of
192.9.200.128 and 192.9.200.160.  I have tried both dynamic and
static IP address selection, but no luck.  Any ideas?
--
Paul H. Steele      UUCP:     {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
Acadia University   BITNET:   Paul@Acadia  or  PHS@Acadia (preferred)

krauskpf@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/02/88)

NCSA Telnet 2.2 runs without any undue pauses and freeze-ups for most sites
without any problems.  There are no known bugs which cause hangs or
crashes during normal use after you have connected.  I can't think of
anything which you can configure which will cause a crash if you can at
least get connected.

So, suggestions when you get interrupted service:

1. Is anyone using your IP number?  If you sometimes work for hours
   without a problem, but sometimes can't stay connected, check to see
   if someone else in the office has the same problem.  They may have the
   same number that you do.  Everyone must have a unique IP number.
   (Show Network Numbers from the Network menu)

2. Tuning.  For AppleTalk and for a safe test, make sure your configuration
   file has these settings:
   rwin=512 ; mtu=512; maxseg=512

3. Check that you aren't running Pyro or other screensaver which will
   cause timeouts to occur after 3 minutes on most Unix systems.

4. Always check for conflicts with network INITs or mail programs.
   Don't run with Kinetics' or Apple's TCP drivers installed unless you
   know that there is no conflict on your system.

If you are sure you checked, please send me your System version number,
system 5.0 or 6.0.2, or other.  Also make sure to indicate what kind of
Ethernet board, FastPath and FastPath gateway software you are using.

If there are any patterns to these problems, I may be able to find a
solution.

Send bugs/problems to telbug@ncsa.uiuc.edu

Tim Krauskopf
NCSA
timk@ncsa.uiuc.edu

tcora@ARDEC.ARPA (Tom Coradeschi) (01/04/89)

Could someone please tell me where NCSA Telnet is available via anonymous
FTP? None of the NCSA hosts seem to support it.

Thanx,
tom c

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"
                ARPA: tcora@ardec-ac4.arpa
      UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!ardec-ac4.arpa!tcora

tcora@ARDEC.ARPA (Tom Coradeschi) (01/05/89)

Thanks to the following folks, who responded to my query about FTP sources
for NCSA Telnet:

Mark Verber <verber@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Steve Munson <sbm@purdue.edu>
Hock Koon Lim <lim@cwlim.cwru.edu>
Rakesh Patel <rapatel@aramis.rutgers.edu>
Dave Platt <dplatt@coherent.com>
Mike Paisley <paisley@mte.ncsu.edu>

The problem turned out to be this: Telnet is available from <ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu>
or <zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu> at Internet address 128.174.20.50. For some reason,
that host is not included in the latest Internet host table posted at
<sri-nic.arpa>. I downloaded it today, just to check. I was not able to FTP
to those hosts, because our FTP server uses the host tables to find the net
address. I was able to FTP to the net address directly tho. I have sent mail
to <postmaster@newton.ncsa.uiuc.edu> apprising them of the situation.

tom c

                  Electromagnetic Armament Technology Branch
         US Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center
                       Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) (07/19/89)

In article <783@mitisft.Convergent.COM>, jay@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jay O'Conor) writes:

> I know this has probably been asked before, but...
> How can I get NCSA Telnet if I'm not on the Internet (and therefore can't
> get it via FTP)?  When will the version that supports MacTCP be available?
>
> Thanks!
> Jay O'Conor
> Unisys/Convergent

You can get NCSA Telnet from zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu ~ftp/NCSA_Telnet/Mac.
The version (2.3 and 2.3a) are out now.  You can get them from there.

--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170                      Phone: 703.450.7117

powsner@nlm-mcs.arpa (Seth M Powsner) (02/21/90)

I have used BYU/NCSA 2.3.1/MacTCP via AppleTalk through a Shiva NetBridge
then on through a Kinetics FastPath 4 using K-Start 7.0 and it does work.
There are some restrictions. The NetBridge privacy option has to be turned
OFF and MacTCP has to be set to use SERVER (the FastPath) assigned IP
Addresses. You may have trouble with Class C addressing (try specifying
Class B instead). I suspect you can use other Telnet versions.

The privacy option has to be off and you have to use FastPath assigned
IP Addresses to get around Name Binding Protocol incompatibilities. There's
a basic incompatibility with the way NBP is used to establish and maintain
the TCP session and the way the NetBridge works.

Seth M Powsner  powsner.medinf@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu
                powsner@mcs.nlm.nih.gov
                powsner@yalemed.bitnet

ajk@tikvtt.tik.vtt.fi (Kortekangas Atte) (02/21/90)

Is it possible to telnet/ftp from a different LocalTalk zone through
a LocalTalk bridge and a Kinetics Fastpath 4? We are using NCSA telnet
2.3 and K-star 7.0. Especially, I am thinking of the following
configuration,

-------   LocalTalk  -------------------  LocalTalk  -------------- Ethernet
I Mac I==============I Shiva NetBridge I=============I FastPath 4 I=====...

The documentation for NCSA Telnet 2.3 mentions option "zone=...", but
we haven't had the desired effect. The documentation for K-star 7.0 is
somewhat superficial at this point. It looks as if the telnet on the
mac could contact the Fastpath 4, but TCP/IP messages won't get routed
back. The basic configuration (1 LocalTalk net, 1 EtherTalk, 1 DDP/UDP
network as one zone) works.
--

Atte Kortekangas          :  Tel/puh. (+358-0)4356-6039
VTT/TIK                   :  telefax (+358-0)489519