[comp.protocols.appletalk] AppleShare Bug ?

21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) (02/19/90)

We are having a problem with our workstations (SE dual HFHD) and our file serve
r (SE 2/40 DSDD) over appletalk (09 workstations connnected via phoneNet and a
Star controller, and 01 Laserwriter NT same).  We are running system 6.03 and h
ave normal system fonts and das in addition to (DeskDraw & BigCaps), Broadcast,
menuclock, responder, and registerName. We have users boot with a system floppy
and an application disk (word 4.0, kermit) and have the project fileserver moun
t at boot up (registered users only).

The PROBLEM is whenever a user resizes a floppy window or chooses an apple menu
item or makes another floppy window active the cursor turns into a watch and
the appleshare "arrows" appear for 5-10 seconds.  Why would "local" activity
effect the fileserver ?  Does anybody have any clues ?  Most users are forced
to unmount the server to get any work done...

Any help would be appreciated...

Mark Rosenberg
The MATH Project
Michigan State University

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (02/20/90)

In article <20621602MR@MSU> 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:

> The PROBLEM is whenever a user resizes a floppy window or chooses an apple menu
> item or makes another floppy window active the cursor turns into a watch and
> the appleshare "arrows" appear for 5-10 seconds.  Why would "local" activity
> effect the fileserver ?  Does anybody have any clues ?  Most users are forced
> to unmount the server to get any work done...

You're almost certainly infected with the WDEF virus.  I'm mailing you
an effective antiviral under separate cover.
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (02/20/90)

In article <20621602MR@MSU> 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:
>  [configuration description deleted]
>
>The PROBLEM is whenever a user resizes a floppy window or chooses an apple menu
>item or makes another floppy window active the cursor turns into a watch and
>the appleshare "arrows" appear for 5-10 seconds.  Why would "local" activity
>effect the fileserver ?  Does anybody have any clues ?  Most users are forced
>to unmount the server to get any work done...

I don't have any suggestions to help Mark, but I have noticed the same thing.
Whenever a window needs to be refreshed, the AppleShare arrows flash -- but
this does NOT happen for all windows.  I have noticed this phenomenon occurs
whenever I open a System folder (whether on my startup hard drive or on a
floppy inserted in the floppy drive) or a folder I have called "Binaries".
The delay is so noticeable on the "Binaries" folder that it only draws two
file/folder names at a time (View is set to "by Name").  Like Mark, I too
am curious (although I haven't gone the extreme route of unmounting the
server -- yet).

M. A. Pasek               Software Development              NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              MNI Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (02/22/90)

In <47252@improper.coherent.com> dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) writes:
>In article <20621602MR@MSU> 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:
>> The PROBLEM is when a user resizes a floppy window or chooses an apple menu
>> item or makes another floppy window active the cursor turns into a watch and
>> the appleshare "arrows" appear for 5-10 seconds.  [questions deleted]
>You're almost certainly infected with the WDEF virus.  I'm mailing you
>an effective antiviral under separate cover.

Mark may be infected with WDEF, but I have GateKeeper Aid, Vaccine (I know,
no good for WDEF), and (suspecting WDEF myself) have scanned both my disk
AND the server's disk using Disinfectant 1.6.  Nothing detected, and yet
the problem still occurs.  As noted in my previous post, this ONLY occurs on
System folders and a folder on my hard drive named "Binaries" (Hmmm.... I
haven't tried changing the name to see if THAT makes any difference.....).

If anyone figures this out, regardless of the cause, please post to this
group or send e-mail to me.

ted@nieland.DAYTON.OH.US (Ted Nieland) (02/22/90)

In article <20621602MR@MSU> 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:
> The PROBLEM is whenever a user resizes a floppy window or chooses an apple menu
> item or makes another floppy window active the cursor turns into a watch and
> the appleshare "arrows" appear for 5-10 seconds.  Why would "local" activity
> effect the fileserver ?  Does anybody have any clues ?  Most users are forced
> to unmount the server to get any work done...

We have had the same problem.  And it is caused by the WDEF virus.

Talked to someone within Apple and they gave us a WONDERFUL suggestion.  It seems
that an Apple Fileserver does need the DESKTOP file.  They suggest that we
use RESEDT (or MacTools or whatever) to remove it off the server.  We did.
The server is fine and no more problems.  We are still trying to clean
out the WDEF off everything anyway, but at least the network isn't
slowing everything down and people don't have to keep dismounting
the server, since it can no longer be infected.

Note:  The DESKTOP file will be recreated on the server if you ever boot
it normally and use FINDER or MULTIFINDER.  Only the AppleShare software
can do without the DESKTOP file, since it has special files to do the
same thing.

Sidenote:  A nice way to destroy the WDEF file is to just rebuild the DESKTOP
on every volume and floppy by holding down the option and command keys
when booting and inserting floppies.  When the DESKTOP is rebuilt, it actually
just deletes the old version and creates a new version.

--
M. Edward (Ted) Nieland

Ted@NIELAND.DAYTON.OH.US     (aka  uunet!dayvb!nieland!ted)

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (02/23/90)

In article <1924@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM (M. A. Pasek) writes:

> Mark may be infected with WDEF, but I have GateKeeper Aid, Vaccine (I know,
> no good for WDEF), and (suspecting WDEF myself) have scanned both my disk
> AND the server's disk using Disinfectant 1.6.  Nothing detected, and yet
> the problem still occurs.  As noted in my previous post, this ONLY occurs on
> System folders and a folder on my hard drive named "Binaries" (Hmmm.... I
> haven't tried changing the name to see if THAT makes any difference.....).
>
> If anyone figures this out, regardless of the cause, please post to this
> group or send e-mail to me.

This tends to happen if you have a window which is "View by [any non-
icon organization]".  I'm fairly sure that the Finder is querying the
icon/owner database on the server whenever it encounters a file
whose owner-code is not represented in the local disk's Desktop file...
so that it can display the file as being a "Snork document" rather than
simply a "document".

The delay, and network activity seem to be greatly reduced if you display
the window using an icon or small-icon view.  I'm not sure why...
perhaps the Finder is capable of cacheing the icons, but not the names
of the owning applications.