[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP without a KIP box?

dyker@eclipse.colorado.edu (Barbara J. Dyker) (02/21/90)

I have an ethernet with no appletalk and all the boxes are connected
directly to it are talking TCP/IP (ala ncsa telnet) or EtherTalk.

What I would like to do is install CAP to serve some disks and printers
(can't connect lasers to ether) for the Macs.  Do I have to get a
Kinetics or Gator to do make it work?  Can I actually run the KIP code
on a unix box instead to impersonate one?

Thanks

Barbara J. Dyker
dyker@amaze.uucp

dyker@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Barbara J. Dyker) (02/22/90)

Thanks to everyone that pointed me to UAB available from
cunixc.columbia.edu (128.59.40.130).

Now can someone tell me what this gem in the UAB doc really means:
"CAP programs must be relinked with a different low level delivery mechanism
to work with UAB."

What low level delivery mechanism?  There is nothing in the UAB or CAP doc
that explains what is needed here to get this to work. The UAB doc looks
like it was written for people that don't need it.

Thanks again.

Barb Dyker
dyker@amaze.uucp

rapatel@khnphwzhn.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) (02/23/90)

Here is a message that was posted a while back that explains it.

Rakesh Patel.

From Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson) Sat Jan 27 05:08:35 1990
From: Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.appletalk
Subject: Re: printing from Mac to Sun
Date: 27 Jan 90 10:08:35 GMT
Sender: newsuser@lth.se (LTH network news server)

In article <Jan.26.22.00.48.1990.15357@athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>there's another way to do it.  Alternatively, is there software for a
>Sun that will speak Ethertalk and accept input?  I've looked at the
>documentation for the uab, and it looks like in principle this would
>work.  But in this case I don't have the time or manpower to do any
>local development work, and it looks like I need not only uab but
>special versions of the cap software.

No, it is fairely easy to use uab.
1. Compile the standard cap libraries first and install them.
2. Compile and install uab.
3. Replace the abkip.c in cap with the abmkip.c from the uab source and
remake cap and install the programs.

That is about all that is needed. I have one small patch to uab that you
might need.

If you can wait one week I plan to release my version of uab and cap
with instructions to use. My cap constains several fixes to make aufs faster.

    Dan