[comp.protocols.appletalk] Performance problems with Alisa on a VAX-8530

michael@swift.cs.tcd.ie (02/20/90)

We are having problems with the performance of AlisaShare on a
VAX-8530. In general, dragging files to and from Alisa appears
to be very slow, opening and closing folders is extremely slow.

Usually we find it impossible to automatically mount Alisa volumes
as start time, you have to go into the chooser to mount the volume.

This contrasts with an SE-30 server that is extremely fast and
always mounts automatically.

We have all our MACs directly connected to the ethernet.

Have any Alisa users had similar experiences and have they solved
them ?

Michael.
--
Michael Nowlan                 | eMail:   (UUCP,Bitnet)   michael@cs.tcd.ie
Department of Computer Science,|           UUCP           michael@tcdcs.uucp

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (02/23/90)

In article <6852.25e127b3@swift.cs.tcd.ie> michael@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
>We are having problems with the performance of AlisaShare on a
>VAX-8530. In general, dragging files to and from Alisa appears
>to be very slow, opening and closing folders is extremely slow.
>
>Usually we find it impossible to automatically mount Alisa volumes
>as start time, you have to go into the chooser to mount the volume.
>
>This contrasts with an SE-30 server that is extremely fast and
>always mounts automatically.
>
>We have all our MACs directly connected to the ethernet.
>
>Have any Alisa users had similar experiences and have they solved
>them ?
>
>Michael.
>--

Alisashare runs on anything from a MicroVax 2000 to a Vax 9000.
Generally I've found it to be slower than a Mac on anything
like a MicroVax II or Vax 11/7xx computer, but pretty good
on everything else.  I have no idea what the performance is
like on a 8530, but I need to know some more data of your
configuration.  What version of AlisaTalk are you running?
(The latest is 3.2).  What version of Appletalk for VMS is
running, and when's the last time you changed the software?
Appletalk for VMS 2.0 has a rare problem of occasionally
imploding on itself, and usually reinstalling that software
will fix the problem.  You may also want to contact
Alisa for Appletalk for VMS 2.05 or 2.1, just released from
Apple.  These two version fix many known b in ATKVMS 2.0,
and version 2.1 provides Appletalk for VMS Phase II capability,
if you need that.  Contact Alisa Systems Tech Support (1-800-99ALISA or
1-818-792-9474) if you need the update.

|Disclaimer:  I run 125 INITs. Nothing I say can be seriously considered. |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |