[comp.protocols.appletalk] PSetSendSelf questions

rdominy@palantir.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) (02/24/90)

In article <6827@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> vmrad@pollux (Bernard Littau) writes:
> The specific question I have is does NBP have a _problem_ registering
> a name when send self is enabled?

I've used the SetSelfSend option in conjunction with NBP registrations and
haven't noticed any problems.  In my case I'm using Apple's Hyper
AppleTalk XCMDs for HyperCard.  I've created an XCMD for doing the
SetSelfSend.  I can create a server and client within HyperCard,
register the name, do a name lookup, select the name I just registered,
and send a message to myself.  I just leave the SetSelfSend option set
rather than turning it off & on, so I don't know if this could be a
problem (I doubt it).

One potential source of problems is whether you gracefully &
completely terminate and unregister your server/clients before
you restart them.  The Mac doesn't like sockets left open after an
application quits.

I believe also that the PSetSelfSend option is incompatible with
Mac Plus ROMs and earlier.  To correct you can use Apple's
AppleTalk INIT.

For general AppleTalk programming the Inside AppleTalk reference
isn't very useful.  It does get into the guts of the protocol, discusses
how routing is done,  and I believe talks about the hardware signals.

Robert Dominy
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center