[comp.protocols.appletalk] Quirks with Ethertalk

shmuli@shum.huji.ac.il (Shmuel Browns) (02/18/90)

    I have a Mac IIx with a 3COM ethernet card connecting me to the campus
ethernet.  A colleague has a Mac II with a Dove FastNet II ethernet card
connecting him to campus ethernet.  Therefore, the 2 of us can run Appletalk
protocols over ethernet.  We each tried running Broadcast 1.2 & Public Folder
1.0 - I could "see" jeff with Broadcast and Public Folder and successfully
sent him a message and fetched a file.  He could "see" both himself and me
running Broadcast with AppleTalk on but not my public folder; with Appletalk
off running PF, he got a message that AppleTalk was required and it was turned
on automatically but now he could not see me anymore.
    I know is that I have a CDEV (Network) that lets me choose whether Appletalk
packets will go out the printer port (Built-in) or via the ethernet card
(Ethertalk).  Jeff's card does not have the Ethertalk option but only FastNet.
He doesn't have the EtherTalk 1.1 document in his system folder.  Should he??
Can anyone explain what is going on?
    Shmuel
 ---
Shmuel Browns, Macintosh & Unix Technical Support          VOICE: +972-2-584539
  MAIL: Computer Centre, Taylor Bldg, Hebrew University, Jerusalem 91904 ISRAEL
  BITNET: SHMULI@HUJINIX               CSNET & INTERNET: shmuli@shum.huji.ac.il

pwrg6481@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/20/90)

Dove Fastnet cards have their own dirver provided with them. Instead of an
Ethertalk document in his system folder, your friend should have a Fastnet
document. When he chooses "Network" in the control panel, the Dove driver
should be one of his choices. As far as why PF doesn't know what to do with
the Dove Ethertalk driver as opposed to the 3Com Ethertalk driver, your guess
is as good as mine.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (02/20/90)

In article <655@shuldig.Huji.Ac.IL> shmuli@shum.huji.ac.il (Shmuel Browns) writes:

>    I have a Mac IIx with a 3COM ethernet card connecting me to the campus
>ethernet.  A colleague has a Mac II with a Dove FastNet II ethernet card
>connecting him to campus ethernet.  Therefore, the 2 of us can run Appletalk
>protocols over ethernet.  We each tried running Broadcast 1.2 & Public Folder
>1.0 - I could "see" jeff with Broadcast and Public Folder and successfully
>sent him a message and fetched a file.  He could "see" both himself and me
>running Broadcast with AppleTalk on but not my public folder; with Appletalk
>off running PF, he got a message that AppleTalk was required and it was turned
>on automatically but now he could not see me anymore.
>    I know is that I have a CDEV (Network) that lets me choose whether Appletalk
>packets will go out the printer port (Built-in) or via the ethernet card
>(Ethertalk).  Jeff's card does not have the Ethertalk option but only FastNet.
>He doesn't have the EtherTalk 1.1 document in his system folder.  Should he??
>Can anyone explain what is going on?
>    Shmuel

I'm not really sure what's happening here, but one possibility is that you are
turning off AppleTalk (be it EtherTalk or LocalTalk) after boot time.  When
this happens the server portion of Public Folder gets disconnected from the
net.  Even if you are switching from EtherTalk to LocalTalk (or vise versa)
this will happen.  This is because Public Folder 1.0 doesn't look to see the
net coming down and going up again and it never reregisters it's name.

The work around here is to reboot after reconfiguring from LocalTalk to
EtherTalk.

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce
 -------------+--------------------------------------
              | 5201 Patrick Henry Drive MS-C4
              | Box 58168
              | Santa Clara, CA 95051-8168
              | (408) 987-7319
              | AppleLink: peirce1
              | Internet:  peirce@claris.com
              | uucp:      {ames,decwrl,apple,sun}!claris!peirce

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (02/26/90)

Are you sure that's FastNet II you have and not FastNet III?

						Tim Smith