[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP without KIP

dyker@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Barbara J. Dyker) (02/27/90)

For those that requested a summary of what I got in response to:

>I have an ethernet with no appletalk and all the boxes are connected
>directly to it are talking TCP/IP (ala ncsa telnet) or EtherTalk.
>
>What I would like to do is install CAP to serve some disks and printers
>(can't connect lasers to ether) for the Macs.  Do I have to get a
>Kinetics or Gator to do make it work?  Can I actually run the KIP code
>on a unix box instead to impersonate one?

Apparently this can be done.  There is a program called UAB available
from Columbia - where you get CAP.  UAB is "Unix Appletalk Bridge" and
provides the code for a unix box to function as a KIP type box.
(Shouldn't that be UAG - unix appletalk gateway?)
The catch is that the UAB doc says that you need to hack CAP to make
it work with UAB rather than KIP but doesn't give any more details.

    From: Dan Oscarsson <Dan@DNA.LTH.Se>

    If you fetch the uab from lth.se (130.235.16.3) in directory Mac/Unix/Uab
    I have included installation instructions and an additional fix.

I've grabbed this but have not yet built/tested it.
He has both cap+ and uab+ there - apparently include some bug fixes and
speedup patches for cap and the info to make it work with uab.  I would
suggest anyone wanting to ftp this do it late in the evening or the weekend.
The connection during the day was slow and prone to dropping before everything
came across.

I'm using a NeXT for this.  If anyone has already done a port of CAP/UAB
to Mach - talk to me.  Otherwise I'll make it available somewhere if/when I'm
sucessful.  We'll see.

Thanks

...Barb Dyker
dyker@amaze.uucp