[comp.protocols.appletalk] Connecting to Ethernet

Wolfgang_Naegeli.ED_TSRS@qm01.ctd.ornl.gov (Wolfgang Naegeli) (03/02/90)

REGARDING                Connecting to Ethernet
Which SCSI Etherbox and which NuBus Ethernet card would you
recommend?

In which ways are "smart" cards worth their higher
price compared to less expensive (dumb??) products?

We would also  like to hear about any good/bad experiences, in terms of
reliability, compatibility, tech support.

Please respond directly -- I'll summarize to the newsgroup.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-3895

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (03/02/90)

We've had no troubles with our mixture of Apple EtherTalk cards
and Kinetics EtherPort II cards (both NuBus ones) except under
automatic reconfiguration of A/UX. The problem is subtle but
devastating, though it does not affect normal use of a
configured machine.

The snag is that Apple's guidelines don't say anything about
when NuBus interrupts from the card should be enabled (on the
card). Kinetics enable the card to generate interrupts as part
of the initialisation firmware executed by the Mac II from the
card ROMs. The Mac design doesn't allow for disabling of
individual card interrupts, and to clear an interrupt you must
understand the particular type of card and know what to do to
clear it.

Normally this is OK; the Slot Manager will have opened the
driver anyway. However, under A/UX, when doing the
autoconfiguration the kernel used is a bare minimum and has no
such drivers. If the card is still connected and the Ethernet
is active, then the Kinetics card will generate an interrupt
and Bingo, your machine is locked up. The Apple card naturally
doesn't do this, but Apple should have stated explicitly in
their design guidelines that you must only enable the card
interrupts from the initialisation routine in the Operating
System driver.

Don't know about co-processor cards, but it should be possible
to do good things with them.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (03/04/90)

In article <1733@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
>Normally this is OK; the Slot Manager will have opened the
>driver anyway. However, under A/UX, when doing the
>autoconfiguration the kernel used is a bare minimum and has no
>such drivers. If the card is still connected and the Ethernet
>is active, then the Kinetics card will generate an interrupt
>and Bingo, your machine is locked up. The Apple card naturally
>doesn't do this, but Apple should have stated explicitly in
>their design guidelines that you must only enable the card
>interrupts from the initialisation routine in the Operating
>System driver.

The actual problem is that Kinetics doesn't disable the card when the
MacOS goes away (Apple does), it's actually easy to do once you figure
out how (I sell a 4 port serial card and had to go through this :-)
and is required for any card that generates asynchronous interrupts
(for example a card like a SCSI card that only generates interrupts after
being asked to do something doesn't have this problem, but serial, network
and other I/O cards that connect to the real world have to 'do the right
thing')

	Paul Campbell

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
Remember 1990? that was the year the US government funded a Communist election