[comp.protocols.appletalk] TOPS on Mac II w/ ethernet card

bauman@shell.com (03/01/90)

>I do not want to buy or sell TOPS, but I do want to hear from
>anyone on the net using a Macintosh with an ethernet card to
>use TOPS between a Sun and a Mac.  What configuration are you
>using?  How do you like it?  What problems (if any) did you
>have in setting it up?  What kind of Sun are you using it with?
>Did you have to do anything to TOPS to get it tow work with
>ethernet?  Did you have to buy a special version of TOPS?

I'd like to second the request for feedback on this issue.

We're using mostly Suns, but have a few Mac II's that we'd like to
"bring into the network".  One of the Mac II's has a Daystar
40 MHz 68030 + 68882, a MacIrma card, and a Radius 19" color
display (8 bit).  It has a Daynafile and a Microtek color scanner on
the SCSI bus.

This Mac II has exhibited numerous compatibility problems, especially
with the Daynafile and the Radius software enhancements.  The Irma board
only functions if it's positioned in a particular slot.  However, we've
hacked a way to get most of this to function harmoniously.

Now we're wondering what kind of troubles we'll have if we add an ethernet
board.  We're looking at the 3Com Etherlink card, but I'm open to suggestions
on other ethernet cards.  The ethernet applications will be NCSA Telnet,
TOPS, and MacX.

Thanks in advance!

	Evan G. Bauman
	Shell Development Company - Westhollow Research Center
	PO Box 1380; Houston, TX 77251-1380
	bauman@shell.com   or for the uucp types: {sun,bcm}!shell!bauman

cohen@santa_fe.ebay.sun.com (Michael A. Cohen) (03/06/90)

In article <1573@shell.shell.com> bauman@shell.com writes:
> >I do want to hear from
> >anyone on the net using a Macintosh with an ethernet card to
> >use TOPS between a Sun and a Mac.
[stuff deleted]
> I'd like to second the request for feedback on this issue.

    Well, here at TOPS I've been running the new TOPS/Mac 3.0 over
EtherTalk for several months now.  I've always got our TOPS/Sun server
mounted, and my Mac and the Sun communicate directly over EtherTalk (no
DDP-in-IP encapsulation).  Works like a charm.
    Oh, and I'm simultaneously running MacTCP (to read news, and telnet to
the Suns).  No compatibility problems with TOPS.

Michael Cohen
T_O_P_S
cohen@santa_fe.ebay.sun.com

disclaimer: my opinions! all mine!