[comp.protocols.appletalk] X11 emulation on Mac

manuel@cnam.UUCP (manuel bouyssou) (03/05/90)

Greetings Folks !

Yes, I know once again a stupid question, but can somebody tell me if an X11
emulator is running on a macintosh, and which kind of macintosh ?
We currently use a wide range of Macs (from Lisa to II ci, but don't smile)
with Mac OS and only one with A/UX. The X-Windows emulators is very slow and
sluggy using A/UX.

So, is there in the world any company who is working about such problem ? The
purpose of such emulation should be to use some softwares running on others
computers (like Vaxes and so on) and use them on a mac through a Kinetics
Fastpath box Ethernet/Localtalk converter.

Thank's for all replies !....

Manuel BOUYSSOU
Laboratoire d'Informatique - Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers
Paris - France.

NESCITIS DIEM NEQUE HORA...

vita@daredevil.crd.ge.com (Mark F Vita) (03/09/90)

In article <149@cnam.UUCP> manuel@cnam.UUCP (manuel bouyssou) writes:
>Greetings Folks !
>
>Yes, I know once again a stupid question, but can somebody tell me if an X11
>emulator is running on a macintosh, and which kind of macintosh ?
>We currently use a wide range of Macs (from Lisa to II ci, but don't smile)
>with Mac OS and only one with A/UX. The X-Windows emulators is very slow and
>sluggy using A/UX.

Apple will soon (?) be introducing an X server for the Mac called MacX
that will run under the MacOS.  I think price is supposed to be around
$300.  The nice thing is that the server will apparently run on any
model of the Mac from the Plus on up.  I read an article recently
where someone mentioned an Apple rep demoing MacX on the Portable.
They claimed that this made it the only portable X server machine on
the market.  Imagine: get yourself one of those 19.2K-baud
error-correcting Telebit modems, and run X11 client programs remotely
from your hotel room (!)...

--
Mark Vita                              vita@crd.ge.com
General Electric CRD               	..!uunet!crd.ge.com!vita