[comp.protocols.appletalk] NCSA Telnet on Portable

news@mck-csc.UUCP (news) (12/20/89)

Our NCSA Telnet (2.2) doesn't work on our Mac Portable.

Any fixes, or other telnet packages available?  (public domain or not)

Peter Gaston
Cambridge Systems Center, McKinsey & Co.

mahboud@kinetics.com (Mahboud Zabetian,Kinetics,4511,9457194,) (12/20/89)

From article <276@mck-csc.UUCP>, by news@mck-csc.UUCP (news):

> Our NCSA Telnet (2.2) doesn't work on our Mac Portable.
>
> Any fixes, or other telnet packages available?  (public domain or not)
>
> Peter Gaston
> Cambridge Systems Center, McKinsey & Co.
I hope this does not come off as being an advertisement--after all, someone
asked for it, so here it is:

Novell (Kinetics)'s HostAccess + TCPort does run on a portable.  It allows
both Telnet and FTP.  Hard disk recomended, LocalTalk conection would be
nice too. :-)
Standard Disclaimer:  Don't mind me, I'm just babbling.
     Mahboud Zabetian	 (415) 975-4511		mahboud@kinetics.com
  Kinetics/Excelan/Novell
 1340 Treat Blvd, Suite 500		...!ucbvax!mtxinu!kinetics!mahboud
   Walnut Creek, CA 94596

brianb@kinetics.com (Brian Bulkowski) (12/20/89)

In article <275@mck-csc.UUCP> news@mck-csc.UUCP (news) writes:
>Our NCSA Telnet (2.2) doesn't work on our Mac Portable.
>Any fixes, or other telnet packages available?  (public domain or not)
>Peter Gaston
>Cambridge Systems Center, McKinsey & Co.

Since the poster didn't leave much of a return address to deal with,
I'll say that HostAccess, part of LAN WorkPlace for Macintosh, a
commercial program available through Novell dealers or wherever fine
Kinetics products are sold, works with the portable. Version 1.01 has
not jet been tested with the portable. (Probably won't work.)

Anyone know about NCSA 2.3? I assume Connect/II works with the portable,
or will soon.

Brian Bulkowski

mackid@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Mike Neil) (12/21/89)

In article <901@excelan.COM> mahboud@kinetics.com (Mahboud Zabetian,Kinetics,4511,9457194,) writes:
>From article <276@mck-csc.UUCP>, by news@mck-csc.UUCP (news):
>>
>> Our NCSA Telnet (2.2) doesn't work on our Mac Portable.
>>
>> Any fixes, or other telnet packages available?  (public domain or not)
>>
>> Peter Gaston
>> Cambridge Systems Center, McKinsey & Co.
>I hope this does not come off as being an advertisement--after all, someone
>asked for it, so here it is:
>
>Novell (Kinetics)'s HostAccess + TCPort does run on a portable.  It allows
>both Telnet and FTP.  Hard disk recomended, LocalTalk conection would be
>nice too. :-)
>Standard Disclaimer:  Don't mind me, I'm just babbling.

  We had the same problem.  We were able to patch a copy of 2.3 so that it
works.  I can't remember everything we did, but it works.
Do note that 2.3 uses MacTCP.
If you want we can send you a copy.

    *
   ---						Mike Neil
  =====						CAEN Computer Aided Engin Net
 -------					mackid@caen.engin.umich.edu
+++++++++
    |		Merry Christmas

billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (03/15/90)

Many of you out there have been looking for a patch to NCSA Telnet to work
on the portable.  We'll, we finally got out portable back from the shop here
at CAEN.  So... here are the fixes.  NOTE: I am a discriminating kinda guy,
so I only use the MacTCP version of Telnet 2.3.  These patches probably only
work on the MacTCP version of 2.3.

Find (Hex) in the Resource fork: 4E AD 0A 9A
Replace with:                    4E 71 4E 71

Ta da.  Don't use this on anything but a portable.

-Steve