   From:  fltk!dnb@uunet.uu.net  (David Buonomo)
   Subject:  CAP aufs reboot causes premature client shutdown

   We have CAP aufs running under Ultrix 2.0 connected to an Localtalk network
   via a Gatorbox.  When we reboot the server with a 5 minute delay, the client
   (Macintosh SE, etc.) machines drop their connections prematurely (like aroun
   1.5 minutes later).  Often, there is not enough time to clean up.  Does
   anyone know of a configuration parameter that could be modified to remedy
   this situation?  Better yet, can anyone expain why this is happening?

   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

   David Buonomo
   ...!uunet!fltk!dnb

--- end of message ---

I not sure I understand what is getting reset, the gateway...the Aufs
process...or maybe the Actual UNIX machine...

One thing to keep in mind is that Appletalk is timeout based.
Every so many seconds (20...30 seconds or somewhere around there) the
server and clients (Aufs) must re-establish their connection.  If
the gateway is down (Fastpath/Gator) or the Aufs Server dies or
the UNIX machine reboots, the mounted server on the Mac desktop
timeouts and closes...

Mike Moya
Engineering Computer Network
Purdue University