[comp.protocols.appletalk] Personal Server Network

NU136715@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim Preuss) (03/17/90)

I also saw the ads for the Personal Server Network and bought a copy. I seems
to be a resonable Mac to Mac system. As an IBM to Mac system, either (1) I
didn't set it up correctly, (2) my AppleShare PC card has problems or (3)
it doesn't work well with IBMs. I need good Mac to IBM networking, so it sits
on my self.

Tim Preuss
North Dakota State University

wtcx@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tom Clodfelter) (03/20/90)

Re: PSN.  DON'T!!! I purchased this product and it has been the
worst mistake I made in a long time.  It is very unstable.  I tried
it on three different configurations with stripped down systems.  With
no foreign INITs running from a copy of IPTs distribution disk, it
was so unreliable that no work could be done using it.  Simply
trying to copy files to and from the server caused crashes. (Yes the
permissions were set up correctly!).   I was very disappointed and
am currently trying to get my money back.  This is the first software
product I have every tried to return.  To make it worse, I had to wait
4 months from the time I placed my order to receive the product.  This
was almost vaporware.  I think it would have worked better were it still.

demarsee@gamera.cns.syr.edu (Darryl E. Marsee) (03/22/90)

In article <9939@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>
wtcx@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tom Clodfelter) writes:

> Re: PSN.  DON'T!!! I purchased this product and it has been the
> worst mistake I made in a long time.  It is very unstable.

I agree.  I have a copy of PSN, and after trying to use it a few times,
won't use it any longer, since it crashed constantly (and corrupted the
driver for my SCSI disk each time it crashed).

I would recommend checking out the SingleShare shareware package instead.
I tried it out, and it looked like it was stable and worked as advertised.
The shareware price is US$65 to run on any number of Macs on one zone, US$25 for each additional zone license.

FTPable in two parts from sumex-aim.stanford.edu, directory info-mac/comm.

Darryl E. Marsee
Syracuse University
<demarsee@gamera.cns.syr.edu>