[comp.protocols.appletalk] UAB/CAP .vs. GreyScale/Color

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (04/06/90)

In article <1990Apr4.182539.15272@world.std.com> spike@world.std.com writes:
>       I have UAB/CAP running on my SUN 4/280 with a LaserWriter IINT
>attached to it, talking to a pair of MacIIs (one with the Kinetics
>card and one with the Cayman card).  I have TransScript installed, and
>use the '-T crtolf -T quote8bit' flags with lwsrv.
>
>       For the most part it works well.  However applications (Ready,
>Set, Go and Smart Art are two) which try to print Color/Greyscale do
>not print, even tho they work fine when the printer is on LocalTalk.
>By 'do not print' I mean the file gets to the printer and the light
>flashes for a long time but nothing ever comes out.  The only error I
>ever get in the log file is:
>
>^C
>%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
>
>If you set the application printing to 'Black & White' it prints just
>fine.  The problem is applications where setting 'Black & White' is
>not an option.

Your problem is that quote8bit doesn't quote other control
characters. The control C is part of your data stream (I think)
and so the printer has interpreted it as control information
and not data. This can happen to ^C, ^D, ^T and to ^Q and ^S
unless you use hardware flow control on your serial line.

Whether or not you will get any luck with fixing lwsrv (try
changing from isascii to !isprint in
applications/lwsrv/simple.c, where it is checking needquote)
I'm afraid that you are in the same awkward position as
everyone else trying to drive LaserWriters over serial lines
but with no control over the programs which produce your
PostScript: it's up to you to work out what bizarre things the
original program authors are doing and fathom out ways of
fixing their work.

The only good point is that your users will eventually learn,
simply by attrition, that package X doesn't work and should
then stop using it (or ignore your printer).

PS. quote8bit will only work for things inside strings. In
particular it won't work for the standard technique for
obtaining binary bitmap data in images (readstring)
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP