[comp.protocols.appletalk] Printer port with EtherTalk

perl@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (04/08/90)

I am sure this must have come up before, but I missed it.

Using EtherTalk (3COM EtherLink board) on a IIcx I have found that I
cannot use the printer port for my ImageWriter and have AppleTalk up at
the same time.  Whenever I choose "ImageWriter" from the chooser the
system turns off AppleTalk (including "EtherTalk"), hello printer,
good-bye network.

I could get an AppleTalk board for the ImageWriter, but I do not have
LocalTalk in my office.  Of course, if I could run both LocalTalk and
EtherTalk at the same time I could then connect the "AppleTalk'ed"
ImageWriter to the cx "LocalTalk" (aka printer) port).

Does anyone have a utility to "free-up" the printer port when using
"ETherTalk" or ????

--
   "The universe is not only queerer than we imagine,
    but it is queerer than we can imagine."  J.B.S. Haldane

lim@cwlim.CWRU.EDU (Hock Koon Lim) (04/08/90)

In article <835@pbseps.UUCP> perl@pbseps.PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) writes:

>Using EtherTalk (3COM EtherLink board) on a IIcx I have found that I
>cannot use the printer port for my ImageWriter and have AppleTalk up at
>the same time.  Whenever I choose "ImageWriter" from the chooser the
>system turns off AppleTalk (including "EtherTalk"), hello printer,
>good-bye network.

Just put your ImageWriter on the modem port and everything will work
for you.  You should put the non-appletalk imagewriter driver into your
system folder so it will show up on your chooser.

--
Hock-Koon Lim, Information Network services
Case Western Reserve University; Cleveland, Ohio, USA  44106