[comp.protocols.appletalk] Secure NetNews HyperCard Stack.

inei@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Nick Nei) (05/25/90)

>> our Computing Science Department.  It worries me that any person
>> can post news.  While I can trust members of staff, I cannot trust
>> students not to abuse this privilege.
>
>Gavin_Eadie@um.cc.umich.ed replies:
>Huh? Judging by the content of NetNews (90% dross) I'd assume the
>majority of posters were students. And why stop them anyway?

Someone (maybe not even one of our students) can post something
offensive and give our dept/University a bad name.

Mail:	Nick Nei, Computing Science Dept.,
	Glasgow Univ., 17 Lilybank Gardens,
      	Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK.  Tel: (041) 339 8855 x 5457
ARPA:	inei%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk USENET: inei@cs.glasgow.uucp

inei@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Nick Nei) (05/25/90)

Chris 'Face' Janton <face%arizona.edu%amethyst@noao.edu> replies:
>>At least at our site... The ability to post news can be controlled on a
>>per system basis, meaning that unless the nntp server allows my Mac to
>>post I can't do a news post.  I can send mail, with responses going into
>>the bitbucket if I don't have an account on the sending system.
>>
>>Simply put you should be able to prohibit posting on a system by system
>>basis.  Only allow those systems that you want to post news.
>>
>>Am I confused?

This is not satisfactory when you have over 300 Macintoshes and there
is nothing to stop a bozo coming up with an IP number that is not in your
prohibition list!  Besides, I DO want to allow people to postnews -
just not allow them to post anonymously (so that they can get away with
posting offensive stuff and giving the Dept/University a BAD name!).

A satisfactory solution: NetNews stack must ask for user-name and
password before posting news.  Modify nntpd so that it will validate
these against /etc/passwd (or equivalent) before calling inews
(or whatever).  I was wondering if someone has already done this.

escher@Apple.COM (Michael Crawford) (05/26/90)

In article <1624@amethyst.math.arizona.edu> face@arizona.edu (Chris 'Face' Janton) writes:
>In article <3012.9005241522@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> inei@cs.glasgow.ac.uk
>(Nick Nei) writes:
>> our Computing Science Department.  It worries me that any person
>> can post news.  While I can trust members of staff, I cannot trust
>> students not to abuse this privilege.
>At least at our site... The ability to post news can be controlled on a
>per system basis, meaning that unless the nntp server allows my Mac to
>post I can't do a news post.  I can send mail, with responses going into
>the bitbucket if I don't have an account on the sending system.
>
>Simply put you should be able to prohibit posting on a system by system
>basis.  Only allow those systems that you want to post news.
>
>Am I confused?

Yes.  Anyone who can send mail to the Internet can post news.  I understand
the way you would post to this group would be to send mail to:

comp-protocols-appletalk@uunet.uu.net

or any other Usenet/Internet backbone site.  I believe this mechanism is
provided to allow those without newsfeeds to post questions that can
be replied to via normal mail -- it works via UUCP gateways into the
Internet, like my link with ucscc mentioned below.

There are also a number of mailing lists that are repeated to the news.

I don't see any reason why you should go to much trouble to prevent people
from posting.  A more reasonable thing to do would be to have pnews (which
does the actual posting) examine a list of approved posters.  The way
to get on that list would be to attend a one or two hour course at your
computer center on how to use the news readers, Usenet etiquette, and so
on.  Those too lazy to attend the course can figure out how to post
via the mail gateways.

Make faculty and staff take this course too, unless they have been posting
for a long time.  Either they observe the etiquette, or they are immune
to having it taught them.

--
Michael D. Crawford
Oddball Enterprises		Consulting for Apple Computer Inc.

		alias make '/bin/make & rn'

acmjojo@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jo van Bilsen) (05/27/90)

Well I must admit I'am not a unix wizz or network wizz. But the discussion
not let students post is wrong. Most students do not abuse there priveliges
if you kindly ask them. But there is a way to control (I think)
You can use a RARP server to distribute IP adresses, I think you can also
use it with MacTCP.

Disclaimer : Sorry for my english.