[comp.protocols.appletalk] printing from Unix to AppleTalk

FLEMINGM@QUCDN.BITNET (R. Mark Fleming) (06/13/90)

If you compile & install CAPS, you have a AppleTalk Phase I gateway from
Unix to LocalTalk and Back.  One of the sample program that comes with
CAPS (Columbia AppleTalk Protocol Stack) is "lw" a utility to spool
a PostScript program to an AppleTalk LaserWriter.  I have a postscript
header file I pre-pend to Unix Listing file to print them on our
LaserWriter from Sun Workstations (Unix).  I will submit it to Info-Mac
Archives later this week, [ ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu   36.44.0.6 ].

cheers, Mark
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<=========================================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mark Fleming, Macintosh Support, Office Systems, Computing  & Communicat.
Services, Queen's University at Kingston, Phone: (613) 545-2039
Bitnet: FLEMINGM@QUCDN  or  Mark.Fleming@QueensU.CA    AppleLink: CDA0448
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<=========================================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) (06/15/90)

In article <Added.oaRZrpm00Ui389z08i@andrew.cmu.edu>, FLEMINGM@QUCDN.BITNET (R. Mark Fleming) writes:
> If you compile & install CAPS, you have a AppleTalk Phase I gateway from
> Unix to LocalTalk and Back.  One of the sample program that comes with
> CAPS (Columbia AppleTalk Protocol Stack) is "lw" a utility to spool
> a PostScript program to an AppleTalk LaserWriter.  I have a postscript
> header file I pre-pend to Unix Listing file to print them on our
> LaserWriter from Sun Workstations (Unix).  I will submit it to Info-Mac
> Archives later this week, [ ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu   36.44.0.6 ].

There is a box you can buy from EuroComm (619-471-9362) called LaserAccess.
It allows an Appletalk network and an RS232 line to share a LaserWriter
on the network. The price is $695, and is cheaper then using a
FastPath and CAPS if all you want is printing capability.

We have an RS232 port on our SGI workstation connected to the box and
use Transcript to drive the printer from the UNIX side. Our Mac network
is also connected into the box so that both the Mac users and Unix
users can use the LaserWriter.

We are very happy with the way that it is working. If a UNIX job is
printing, the Macs wait in the queue. With Transcript, it will try
again if the printer is busy. Periodically, we do have glitches from
the UNIX side (jobs do not print), but we are not sure what is the
cause.

Anyway, I would highly recommend this as a solution for UNIX/Mac printing,
if all you want is print sharing.

--
Louis McDonald		Internet: louis@aerospace.aero.org
The Aerospace Corporation