[comp.protocols.appletalk] Sharing LW with Macs and PC's

srb813@csc.anu.oz (06/27/90)

In article <1982@sparko.gwu.edu>, viraf@seas.gwu.edu (Viraf Bankwalla) writes:
> Hi,
>
>   I was wondering what the best way to share a LW between macs and PC's
>   are.  I am aware that there are localtalk cards for the PC, could
>   someone please recommend some of them.  Is there a better alternative ?
>
>   Thanks
>
>   viraf bankwalla
>   viraf@seas.gwu.edu
>   uunet!gwusun!viraf

Putting the PCs onto AppleTalk is the way to go since then the Macs to get
the LaserWriters for free.

I use TOPS/DOS v3.0 with TOPS FlashCards to get the PCs talking to the
LaserWriters (and each other).  TOPS is a fine product except for DOS's
major weakness ... memory.  TOPS is memory-hungry.  If you have extended
memory then you haven't got a problem (384K is OK, but I would recommend
1MB of extended memory).  If you're stuck with 640K and can't afford to
buy an extended memory board (like the mob I'm doing a contract for) then
you definitely do have a problem.  You (like me) will be minimally
configuring everything in sight, or loading and unloading modules, or
trying to convince people (or yourself) to buy some extended memory.

The other alternative is AppleTalk/PC.  v2.1 runs on a FlashCard (or so I
am told) which is good because FlashCards are cheaper (at least in
Australia they are :-) ).  The disadvantage is that you must have an
AppleShare server to share files.  This can only be a Macintosh or a host
(a Unix box or a VAX).  If you're not sharing files between the PCs then who
cares?  But since you've got a network and all this great software you may
as well use all of it!

Steven Ball, Department of Computer Science, ANU
E-mail: steve@anucsd.anu.oz.au		Ph. (06) 2495147
Snail-mail: GPO Box 4, CANBERRA CITY ACT 2600, AUSTRALIA
           He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (06/27/90)

srb813@csc.anu.oz writes:

>In article <1982@sparko.gwu.edu>, viraf@seas.gwu.edu (Viraf Bankwalla) writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I was wondering what the best way to share a LW between macs and PC's
>>   are.  I am aware that there are localtalk cards for the PC, could
>>   someone please recommend some of them.  Is there a better alternative ?
>>

>Putting the PCs onto AppleTalk is the way to go since then the Macs to get
>the LaserWriters for free.

>The other alternative is AppleTalk/PC.  v2.1 runs on a FlashCard (or so I
>am told) which is good because FlashCards are cheaper (at least in
>Australia they are :-) ).  The disadvantage is that you must have an
>AppleShare server to share files.  This can only be a Macintosh or a host
>(a Unix box or a VAX).  If you're not sharing files between the PCs then who
>cares?  But since you've got a network and all this great software you may
>as well use all of it!

>Steven Ball, Department of Computer Science, ANU
>E-mail: steve@anucsd.anu.oz.au		Ph. (06) 2495147
>Snail-mail: GPO Box 4, CANBERRA CITY ACT 2600, AUSTRALIA
>           He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

AppleShare PC 2.0.x does not ship with drivers for the FlashCard.  I'm not
aware of any 3rd party drivers for that card.

AppleShare PC 2.0.x ships with drivers for
	Apple's LocalTalk PC card (standard bus)
	DayStar Digital's LT/PC 200 LocalTalk cards (Both std and Microchannel)
	3Com EtherLink MC (Microchannel)
	3Com EtherLink II (3C503) (Std bus)
	IBM's 4-MBit TokenRing cards (Both Std and Microchannel)

It is possible to write drivers (called MLID's) -- Apple's APDA organization
has the documentation on the interfaces and a shell driver (on disk) that you
can 'fill in the blanks' for the card specific stuff and create a driver pretty
quickly.  We validated the sample driver by using it to create the DayStar
driver.  It took two evenings after work to do.  Ethernet and TokenRing are
more difficult (Multicast table maintenance and source routing).

By the way, DayStar also ships their cards with software to print to
LaserWriters and access AFP compatible file servers.

Mike Shoemaker
Network Connectivity Development
Apple Computer, Inc.