[comp.protocols.appletalk] Why doesn't TOPS Flashcard support AppleSharePC?

jim@nature.berkeley.edu (06/28/90)

In article <42413@apple.Apple.COM> shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) writes:
>srb813@csc.anu.oz writes:
>
>AppleShare PC 2.0.x does not ship with drivers for the FlashCard.  I'm not
>aware of any 3rd party drivers for that card.
>
>AppleShare PC 2.0.x ships with drivers for
>	Apple's LocalTalk PC card (standard bus)
>	DayStar Digital's LT/PC 200 LocalTalk cards (Both std and Microchannel)
>	3Com EtherLink MC (Microchannel)
>	3Com EtherLink II (3C503) (Std bus)
>	IBM's 4-MBit TokenRing cards (Both Std and Microchannel)
>
>It is possible to write drivers (called MLID's) -- Apple's APDA organization
>has the documentation on the interfaces and a shell driver (on disk) that you
>can 'fill in the blanks' for the card specific stuff and create a driver pretty
>quickly.  We validated the sample driver by using it to create the DayStar
>driver.  It took two evenings after work to do.  Ethernet and TokenRing are
>more difficult (Multicast table maintenance and source routing).

>Mike Shoemaker
>Network Connectivity Development
>Apple Computer, Inc.

I'm very annoyed that I can't run AppleSharePC on my TOPS Flashcards.

Is that lack of AppleSharePC drivers for the Flashcard due to a technical
deficiency in the card -- or is it a marketing/turf problem?

Do Apple and TOPS see each other as such competitors that they don't want
to do anything that would make it easier for their customers to buy
the other company's products?

I've yet to get a straight answer from either company.  I'm waiting.

Jim Bradley,  CNR Computer Facility, UC Berkeley