[comp.protocols.appletalk] Simple questions on MacTCP

mak@cs.nott.ac.uk (Martijn Koster) (06/26/90)

Hello netters,

I am considering doing a project on a Mac, in which I need a TCP
connection to a local UNIX machine. I know APDA has a MacTCP driver,
and I have two questions about it:

- Can it be accessed from ThinkC 4.0 ? Is anybody using this?
- What documentation / books on developing with this driver are recommended?
- Are there any special things, like incompatibilities with other sw?
- can the normal NCSA TelNet 2.2 be used when the driver is installed?

Thanks very much in advance

-- Martijn Koster

resnick@lees.cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (06/27/90)

mak@cs.nott.ac.uk (Martijn Koster) writes:
>Hello netters,

>I am considering doing a project on a Mac, in which I need a TCP
>connection to a local UNIX machine. I know APDA has a MacTCP driver,
>and I have two questions about it:

>- Can it be accessed from ThinkC 4.0 ? Is anybody using this?

Yes, I am using it from ThinkC 4.0 now. The #include files need a little
adjustment (like, you can't typedef pascal functions), but it is working
fine for me.

>- What documentation / books on developing with this driver are recommended?

The driver comes with programming documentation, and of Inside Mac 2 for
the device driver calls. I've gotten a lot of help from a lot of people
in-the-know, so it might take more than that.

>- Are there any special things, like incompatibilities with other sw?
>- can the normal NCSA TelNet 2.2 be used when the driver is installed?

The normal Telnet (2.2 and 2.3 to my knowledge) each want control of
the Ethernet board if you are running with that setup (I can't say for
a Localtalk-Ethernet gateway setup), so you won't be able to use both.
Telnet is, of course, available for use with MacTCP, which gives the
ability for multiple TCP streams simultaneously.

Hope that helps.
pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) (06/27/90)

>>- Are there any special things, like incompatibilities with other sw?
>>- can the normal NCSA TelNet 2.2 be used when the driver is installed?
>
>The normal Telnet (2.2 and 2.3 to my knowledge) each want control of
>the Ethernet board if you are running with that setup (I can't say for
>a Localtalk-Ethernet gateway setup), so you won't be able to use both.
>Telnet is, of course, available for use with MacTCP, which gives the
>ability for multiple TCP streams simultaneously.

There is a version of NCSA Telnet 2.3 that works just for MacTCP.

--
Ray Johnson
Internet: rjohnson@gwusun.gwu.edu       Phone: (202)994-6853

lefty@obelix.twg.com (06/29/90)

In <51337@robin.cs.nott.ac.uk>, Martijn Koster
<mcsun!ukc!warwick!nott-cs!mak@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> I am considering doing a project on a Mac, in which I need a TCP
> connection to a local UNIX machine. I know APDA has a MacTCP driver,
> and I have two questions about it:
>
> - Can it be accessed from ThinkC 4.0 ? Is anybody using this?

I would imagine that it could.  I can't give you the details, since I use MPW
myself.  All the calls to MacTCP are standard PBControl calls, though.

> - What documentation / books on developing with this driver are recommended?

You will certainly want to get the MacTCP Developer's Kit, available from
APDA.  It's part number M0704, and I believe it costs under $100 (US).  It
comes with the MacTCP distribution, header files, etc., and documents the
various calls you can make to MacTCP in some detail...

> - Are there any special things, like incompatibilities with other sw?

Only with products that implement their own protocol stacks, like some
versions of NCSA Telnet, and older version of Stanford's MacIP-based software.

> - can the normal NCSA TelNet 2.2 be used when the driver is installed?

No, I believe you need a special version of NCSA compiled to use the MacTCP
driver.

|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|
|           David N. Schlesinger || "When I have nothing to say,       |
|           The Wollongong Group ||  my lips are sealed;               |
| Internet: Lefty@twg.com        ||  say something once,               |
| POTS:     415/962-7219         ||  why say it again?" -- David Byrne |
|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (06/30/90)

In article <9006281053.ab21279@Obelix.TWG.COM> lefty@obelix.twg.com writes:

>You will certainly want to get the MacTCP Developer's Kit, available from
>APDA.  It's part number M0704, and I believe it costs under $100 (US).  It
>comes with the MacTCP distribution, header files, etc., and documents the
>various calls you can make to MacTCP in some detail...

Actually, the item that can be ordered through APDA is the MacTCP Evaluation
Kit (M0230LL/C).  It contains all of the items mentioned above as well as
a license to use MacTCP on a single Macintosh computer.  It is available
for $100.00.

If you decide that you want to use MacTCP on multiple Macintosh computers,
site licenses are available through Apple Software Licensing.  When you
purchase a site license, that is when you receive the Developer's Kit, which
also includes all of the MacTCP documentation in disk files.

APDA can be reached at:
(800) 282-2732 in the U.S.
(800) 637-0029 in Canada
(408) 562-3910 elsewhere

or via e-mail at: APDA@applelink.apple.com

Apple Software Licensing can be reached at:
(408) 974-4667

or via e-mail at: SW.LICENSE@applelink.apple.com

Rick Fleischman
Developer Programs/APDA