[comp.protocols.appletalk] which Unix versions have native Appletalk stacks?

gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (06/30/90)

We would like to run a native, in-kernel Appletalk stack on a Unix box.  Are
there any vendors who sell one?

 -Guy Middleton, University of Waterloo		gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu
		(+1 519 885 1211 x3472)		gamiddleton@watmath.uwaterloo.ca

perl@PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) (06/30/90)

In article <1990Jun29.214819.28865@maytag.waterloo.edu> gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
>Are there vendors who sell...native, in-kernel Appletalk stack on a Unix box.

<IMHO>
Sequent does.  It's in the current Dynix kernel.
BUT, according to people who know (much) more than I do, it
may not be usable for anything practical.

Man page follows:
APPLETALK(4F)       DYNIX Programmer's Manual       APPLETALK(4F)

NAME
     appletalk - AppleTalk protocol family

SYNOPSIS
     #include <netat/atalk.h>

DESCRIPTION
     The AppleTalk protocol family provides basic communications
     for AppleTalk datagram delivery packetized in Ethernet pack-
     ets. It provides protocol support only for the SOCK_DGRAM
     socket type.  Other protocols in the suite can be layered
     atop this facility using the standard socket interfaces.

ADDRESSING
     AppleTalk addresses are four-byte quantities, stored in
     network-standard format (on the Balance and Symmetry series
     the addresses are word- and byte-reversed).  The include
     file <netat/atalk.h> defines this address as a discriminated
     union.

     Sockets bound to the AppleTalk protocol family utilize the
     following addressing structure:

     struct   sockaddr_at {
              short             at_family;      /* AF_APPLETALK */
              struct a_addr     at_addr;        /* 4 bytes */
              u_char            at_sno;         /* ddp socket number */
              u_char            at_ptype;       /* ddp protocol type */
              char              at_dummy[8];    /* fill */
     };

     where:

     struct   a_addr   {
              union    {
                       struct   {
                                u_short   Net;
                                u_char    Node;
                                u_char    Abridge;
                       } at_chrs;
                       long     Addr;
              } at_un;
     };

     #define   at_Net        at_un.at_chrs.Net
     #define   at_Node       at_un.at_chrs.Node
     #define   at_Abridge    at_un.at_chrs.Abridge
     #define   at_adr        at_un.Addr

     Sockets may be created with the address at_Net and at_Node
     equal to zero (0) to effect "wildcard" matching on incoming
     messages. A connect() that specifies at_Net and at_Node
     equal to zero (0) returns the current values for the host.

PROTOCOLS
     The AppleTalk protocol family consists of the Datagram
     Delivery Protocol (DDP) only.  It is used to support the
     SOCK_DGRAM abstraction.

--
   "The universe is not only queerer than we imagine,
    but it is queerer than we can imagine."  J.B.S. Haldane

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/03/90)

In <1990Jun29.214819.28865@maytag.waterloo.edu> gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:

>We would like to run a native, in-kernel Appletalk stack on a Unix box.  Are
>there any vendors who sell one?

Rumour has it that SunOS includes some AppleTalk support, and
the Sequent operating system definitely has some, though both
of these might be hooks on which to hang extra software (e.g.
Tops, Kinetics things like K-Spool, and so on).

You could always get A/UX - A/UX 2.0 has EtherTalk and
LocalTalk support in kernel as standard, and A/UX 1.1 has this
as an extra which you can buy from Apple.

Apple's A/UX implementation of this stuff was done in C and is
intended to be portable: you can licence the source code from
them at sensible rates and it is based on Streams drivers.
Vendors wishing to include it in their products get a discount
on the licence fee if they make it a standard part of the
product (that's what they said at the WWDC in San Jose this year).
This is all AppleTalk phase 2, so you get ISO conformant
Ethernet packets into the bargain.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP